"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Had to google...never heard the term before. I learn something every day.....cute term.
That was the name of one of my restaurants for 13 years...

Old 04-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #22
Master Chef

I bumped this because I want to make a few pickled eggs for Easter and I am concerned about the sugar in my recipe. Do any of you have any thoughts on how much of the sugar is absorbed by the egg, could I leave it out, could I use a sugar substitute or maybe just reduce the amount of sugar.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Old 04-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #23
Head Chef

I've never used sugar but many recipes do call for it to cut the harshness of the vinegar. The eggs will absorb the flavor of the 'brine' they are stored in. Adjust to meet your tastebuds. I'm not sure about artificial sweeteners which could taste different in a strong acid solution. The test is to experiment to find what you like.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #24
Executive Chef

I love pickled eggs. My mother never used sugar and I never do either. I don't like a strong pickle flavor. I just use juice from canned beets and add sliced onion and some vinegar. No one has ever complained. I usually make beet horseradish for Easter and I take the lazy way out and use canned sliced beets and mash them up. Then I use the juice that I drained off to make the pickled eggs. DH doesn't like them, but everyone else does. I don't think I'm making the beet horseradish this year, but I want some pickled eggs anyway. I don't like to let them soak too long because they get too rubbery.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #25
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I bumped this because I want to make a few pickled eggs for Easter and I am concerned about the sugar in my recipe. Do any of you have any thoughts on how much of the sugar is absorbed by the egg, could I leave it out, could I use a sugar substitute or maybe just reduce the amount of sugar.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
I wouldn't use the sugar subs, they may act differently than sugar in a brine. It appears from quick Google that stevia and splenda work in brines.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #26
Sous Chef

I've made pickled eggs for years, do them with pickling spices, onion, beets, salt...no sugar, ever. Never even thought to add it.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #27
Master Chef

I have been rummaging around in the icebox.

I think I will make a few using the juice from a jar of Mt Olive No Sugar Added Bread and Butter Chips and a few using the juice from a jar of Cora Pickled Hot Cherry Peppers. I will add some beet juice to both mixtures. I will also add a piece of a cinnamon stick and a few cloves to the sweet version. That should satisfy my Easter memories of red beet eggs without making too big a project out of it. Maybe toss a couple extra eggs in the pot for deviled eggs as long as the water is boiling.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have been rummaging around in the icebox.

I think I will make a few using the juice from a jar of Mt Olive No Sugar Added Bread and Butter Chips and a few using the juice from a jar of Cora Pickled Hot Cherry Peppers. I will add some beet juice to both mixtures. I will also add a piece of a cinnamon stick and a few cloves to the sweet version. That should satisfy my Easter memories of red beet eggs without making too big a project out of it. Maybe toss a couple extra eggs in the pot for deviled eggs as long as the water is boiling.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments!
Well, my hot pickled eggs were a bust! They were nicely pickled, but not even a hint of heat. They reminded me of the pickled eggs you used to see on the back bar in corner saloons. Next time I will add a tablespoon of red pepper flakes! The sweeter spiced version came out as expected.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #29
Executive Chef

This reminded me that I made some pickled eggs in the beet juice I had left over from the Beet Horseradish. Think I'll go have one now.

I feel like I'm the only one here this morning. Everyone must be busy with preparations. Guess I'll go put the ham in the oven.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #30
Executive Chef

I just had 2 pickled eggs with some Beet Horseradish. I make the Beet Horseradish pretty hot because we like to eat it on the Easter Cheese and on a slice of ham, so we want to be able to get the "kick." I accidentally tasted a spoonful of it straight, and I had to hang onto the counter. I thought I was going to either pass out or die on the spot! Guess I used enough horseradish. LOL

I don't like my pickled eggs hot though.