Pickled Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southern Cookin'

Assistant Cook
Many years ago, my husband's uncle and aunt ran a little mom & pop operation, sold gas, snacks, drinks and such. Aunt Thelma made the very BEST pickled eggs I ever tasted (and I've tried quite a few!). They've both passed away now and I'd love to have a recipe similar to hers. She used pickling spices and they were a little spicy, seems I remember seeing a pod or two of hot pepper in the bottom of the jar. I'd appreciate anyone who can steer me in the right direction.

I learned back in Pennsylvania...pickled with pretty standard pickling spices, apple cider vinegar, sliced onions and beets. People here in southern California think they are alien spawn or something. We usually rolled them in salt and pepper and had them with beer.

I'm lazy. When my pickles are gone, I boil up some eggs, shell them and
drop them into the pickle juice.

Couple few days later.... pickled eggs! :)

I have been know to add some peppers and garlic too.....

Heloise did the same thing

I'm lazy. When my pickles are gone, I boil up some eggs, shell them and
drop them into the pickle juice.

Couple few days later.... pickled eggs! :)

I have been know to add some peppers and garlic too.....
Today's "Ask Heloise" column talked about adding eggs to pickle juice.

How long are the eggs good for? A month? Forever?

Thanks,
Tom

I've been doing this for years Tom and my leftover pickle juice is only enough to cover about four hard cooked eggs. They are always long gone after a week so to say how long they will last would only be a guess. I do know you can't use the juice for a second batch of eggs though as the first batch seems to take most of the flavor from the juice. Good eats...

Same here

I've been doing this for years Tom and my leftover pickle juice is only enough to cover about four hard cooked eggs... Good eats...
Thanks, Kayelle - I figured only four eggs too. One of them ruptured while cooking, but I went ahead and included it.

img_1187829_0_f1af7a8fe1eab88714b445f2920ab328.jpg

Tom

I've bumped this because I have a surplus of eggs (wonder why!) and was thinking of doing a few varieties of pickled eggs. What are your favorites? I don't have any pickle juice (okay, I confess, I drink it).

I confess I drink most of my pickle juice also, mostly Claussen Refrigerated, or I make Popsicles with it. My favorite pickled eggs uses beet juice as one of the ingredients.

I've bumped this because I have a surplus of eggs (wonder why!) and was thinking of doing a few varieties of pickled eggs. What are your favorites? I don't have any pickle juice (okay, I confess, I drink it).

:LOL:You aren't "in a family way" are ya CWS? My mom said she did the same thing when she was pregnant with me and was craving lemons.

Sorry, no recipes from me.....I use pickle juice.;)

This is a nice basic recipe.

These are great for Easter brunch with some kielbasa, horseradish and buttered rye bread.
[FONT=&quot]
Pickled eggs
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 pound can whole or sliced beets[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 onion, thinly sliced[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¼ cup granulated sugar or light brown[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cinnamon stick (optional)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 or 4 whole cloves (optional)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 t salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12 hard boiled eggs[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Put beets with liquid, sugar, vinegar and spices into saucepan and simmer for 10 or 15 minutes. Place onions and peeled whole hard boiled eggs into a large clean jar that has been scalded with boiling water.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pour the beet mixture over the eggs, and onions. Seal the jar and refrigerate. Refrigerate for one to three days; the longer they are allowed to sit the better they will taste.[/FONT]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom