Pickled garlic question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Consul

Senior Cook
Hey, all! It's been a long time since I've been here. I've been so busy...

Today, I tried my hand at making pickled garlic using a recipe I found off of a Persian cuisine web site (recipe follows). I ran into an issue, though, with my final jars not being quite big enough to hold all of the liquid along with the garlic.

All in all, I had plenty of brine, but in the course of pouring the contents into the jars (in this recipe, you actually cook the garlic in the brine for fifteen minutes, then pour it all into your jars), I ended up with a few garlic cloves fallen on the towel. In my haste, I ended up picking them up with my hands and popping them into the jars

Did I just ruin my pickles? I can assure you my hands were clean.

Thank you very much for your help. And now, the recipe:

------------------------------------------------------

Persian Sugar-Pickled Garlic

• 4 Heads garlic, cloves separated, unpeeled (NOTE: I actually peeled my garlic, as for some reason, I only just now noticed this instruction. I'm sure it'll still work, though.)
  • 2 cups red wine vinegar
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 whole cloves (not garlic-the spice!)
  • 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
Place all the ingredients in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook tor 10 minutes, stirring from time to time. Recuce the heat to moderate and cook 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.

Transfer to a clean glass or ceramic jar large enough to accomodate the garlic and liquid. Tightly seal and refrigerate for at least 1 month before serving. The garlic improves with age for as long as 15 Years.

I don't think you'll have a problem. You have a strong acidic sloution to keep any bacteria at bay.

Enjoy the pickled garlic.

Back
Top Bottom