Pickled Jalapeño Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullet-slinger

Assistant Cook
Planet Earth, North of Florida, South of Alaska.
Pickled Jalapeño Recipe ??? :)

Hi, does anyone have a really good tested pickled Jalapeño recipe to share. I love the pickled jalapeno peppers that you can get at Churches Chicken and some other places. They are pickled, but also have a dill flavor. I’ve had pickled peppers before that had no flavor except for a strong vinegar taste, which I really don’t care for. Preferably, a recipe that leaves the peppers crisp and not mushy. I hate mushy pickles and peppers.

If you have a book that has a great recipe similar to what I’m looking for please post the title and author.

Thanks a bunch, :question:

Ken

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Pickle

You can adjust the spices for flavor, but nothing else or it becomes a safety issue.

The process of heating (cooking) food will soften them, which is why a refrigerator pickle (not cooked) is crispier than a regular canned pickle.

Mcnerd,

Thank you. It’s my understanding from other books the lime in the recipe is supposed to help the peppers stay crisp.

Have you personally tried this recipe?

I would like to find something with lots of dill in it.

Thanks,

Ken

I have not done this recipe since I prefer not to use lime for canning since it is a poison. Newer recipes no longer use it. That's why I state that you must follow this recipe exactly. I would not recommended making any changes to it unless you are a Master Canner.

If you are not an experienced canner I would perhaps suggest you continue looking for a 'refrigerator' recipe. Perhaps someone out there has seen one for hot peppers. You would not have the long-term storage, but you would achieve the probable crispness and flexibility in ingredients you are seeking.

Mcnerd,

Thank you for your reply. You used the term “master canner” That is a really nice term. Master canner, kinda like master Chef, master mechanic, etc. How exactly does someone acquire the title of master canner? Is there a master canner degree given by some prestigious canning college somewhere? Or do you have to actually can your 10 millionth jar of food before you’re called a master canner? Or, does a person just have to make X-amount of post on a canning forum and a little sign pops up beside their name that says master canner? Just curious, I don’t believe I’ve seen the term in my canning books.

Lime is a poison? Yes, from the canning books I’ve looked at large quantities of alum or lime are not good for you to ingest. But, neither are large quantities of vinegar or salt that’s also used in canning. A canning book I just looked at last night said that when it became unpopular in the home canning world to use alum or lime that the commercial canners producing massive amounts of canned vegetables never stopped using them. The book also said the amount of canned food you would have to eat that alum, or lime was used in the process before it could hurt you was such an extreme amount no one could ever eat that much. That’s why commercial canners never stopped using it.

When I was a child my mother canned hundreds and hundreds of jars of food every year. We were actually so poor we depended on all the food she canned to make it through the year. I hated gardening most of my life because of having to spend most of my childhood working in a garden when everyone else was playing. I just plain got soured, and burned out on gardening at an early age. I’m sure most of my mother’s canning practices would probably be considered taboo today. Probably down right dangerous by some. None of the 7 of us at home ever got sick because of it. We were probably healthier than most our ages. We were so poor as a family we would go the city dump regularly to scavenge for canning jars to store the canned food in. Then, any jar a canning jar lid fit on was a considered ok to use for canning. I don’t recall mom ever having a problem with jars not sealing or breaking. Mom would spend tons of time scrubbing all the used jars from the dump. Some were very nasty.

You also said ” I would perhaps suggest you continue looking for a 'refrigerator' recipe.” I really do appreciate your suggestion. But, I have no interest in short time storage that’s why I ask for a canning recipe someone has tested his or her self.

I’m curious, how much canning do you do every year? Not freezing, cooking, or refrigerating, but actual canning? How much canning do you do with a water bath canner, and how much with a pressure canner? What do you can regularly?

Thanks,

Ken

You used the term “master canner” That is a really nice term. Master canner, kinda like master Chef, master mechanic, etc. How exactly does someone acquire the title of master canner? Is there a master canner degree given by some prestigious canning college somewhere?

It is an official title and you take a course of study to achieve it. Check with your local University Coop Extension for details.

And no I am not a Master Canner, mostly because the University Extension is not convenient in my area. You can however check your food preservation knowledge for free by taking an online self-study course provided by the Univ. of Georgia and the National Center for Home Food Preservation (
National Center for Home Food Preservation). I recommend it to everyone and you do get a Certificate after completing the course.

Make sure when you are doing your research that you keep in mind that canning made a major change in the 1990's causing all recipes and books to be reprinted and specifically tested in a laboratory by food scientists. Anything prior to that is considered unsafe, though there are a lot of people out there that prefer not to follow modern understanding.

It is not my intent here to debate issues or compare qualifications. I try to provide accurate information and their sources that will hopefully help people to learn the right way.

Ugh. Bullet-slinger - have you so soon forgotten our previous conversation on another thread of yours re: pickling? Where I told you how I nearly died from just ONE improperly pickled Jalapeno pepper??? Doctor said that if I had eaten TWO peppers instead of just ONE, regardless of how quickly I'd gotten to the hospital, they would most likely have not been able to save me. Pretty sobering stuff.

Forget the old-time methods already, buy yourself a current canning book, & go to town. Why are you still fitzing around trying to get validation from online posters for old-time stuff?? Because that's what it now looks like you're doing. To the point of becoming insulting to people who are just trying to point you in the right direction, simply because they're apparently telling you things you don't want to hear.

Instead of trying to get someone here to give you or "okay" what might be an unsafe recipe, break down & spend a few $$ & buy yourself a current canning book!!!!!!!

And Lord - if I hear one more dissertation about "my mom/grandmother/aunt canned everything under the sun using primitive methods & no one died", I'm gonna puke. Just because you lived to tell the tale, doesn't make it safe. For every day you lived, some other idiot most likely died from food poisoning.

Ugh. Bullet-slinger - have you so soon forgotten our previous conversation on another thread of yours re: pickling? Where I told you how I nearly died from just ONE improperly pickled Jalapeno pepper??? Doctor said that if I had eaten TWO peppers instead of just ONE, regardless of how quickly I'd gotten to the hospital, they would most likely have not been able to save me. Pretty sobering stuff.

Forget the old-time methods already, buy yourself a current canning book, & go to town. Why are you still fitzing around trying to get validation from online posters for old-time stuff?? Because that's what it now looks like you're doing. To the point of becoming insulting to people who are just trying to point you in the right direction, simply because they're apparently telling you things you don't want to hear.

Instead of trying to get someone here to give you or "okay" what might be an unsafe recipe, break down & spend a few $$ & buy yourself a current canning book!!!!!!!

And Lord - if I hear one more dissertation about "my mom/grandmother/aunt canned everything under the sun using primitive methods & no one died", I'm gonna puke. Just because you lived to tell the tale, doesn't make it safe. For every day you lived, some other idiot most likely died from food poisoning.

Breezy, I’m not really sure how to even respond to your reply. You’ve obviously completely misinterpreted my intent, my thoughts, and what is really in my mind and heart concerning my post.

You said “have you so soon forgotten our previous conversation on another thread of yours re: pickling?”

The answer to your question is, no I have not forgotten your post about your experience with pickled Jalapeno peppers. I took everything you said to heart. At the time however I had not posted anything, or started any threads about pickling anything. The only pickling thread I’ve started is this one. The other two threads I started were about not using metal for removing air bubbles, and about canning with less jars than would fill the canner. Actually, you brought pickling in the mix.

You’ve made several insinuating remarks about me in your post That I simply don’t understand.

You said “Forget the old-time methods already, buy yourself a current canning book, & go to town. Why are you still fitzing around trying to get validation from online posters for old-time stuff??”

If you had any idea how wrong all these statements are I’m sure you would feel pretty silly. First off, I have actually been to town as you say and bought some current canning books. Spent some real money and everything. Actually I just bought another new one yesterday at Books-A-Million after spending some time there browsing thru lots of books on canning and preserving food. The book I just bought is the joy of pickling. Oh, by the way that is 5 books on preserving food I’ve bought recently. New and current books on the subject of preserving food with different methods. As far as me still fitzing around trying to get someone to validate old time stuff about canning is a ridiculous statement made with no understanding of who I am and knowing nothing about me. Actually. I’ve been trying to validate what I’ve been reading in the new and current books. That is why I made the thread about why no metal. Because 4 books I have tell not to use metal, and none of them explained why no metal for removing air bubbles from vegetables like peas, and beans. I understand the purpose of not using metal when using vinegar and the books I have explained that. It was all to get a better understanding and validate what the new books said. Do ya get it now? I would never jeopardize the health and well being of myself and family by using old methods that science has proven unsafe. If you go reread my post you’ll see I only ask if anyone here had a good recipe they have tested his or her self. I also ask for the title and author of the book they got it from. Now why do you suppose I would ask for that information? So I could just try any ole recipe and get some type of sick satisfaction canning a recipe that may kill my family. Was it actually when I told the story about mu mothers canning adventures that made you believe I was here just looking for someone to ok me using a untested recipe? Come on Breezy, please just read my post and not try to analyze them. Oh, and forgive me for my ignorance. I have no idea what fitzing even means. Yes I did mention things about my mothers canning methods. That was just conversation for the forum. I was curious if others here have similar memories. Not one time did I ever say I would practice the same methods. Or that I had any intentions of using old methods of canning today. Not once. But I’ll promise you one thing if that was actually my intent, I would have said so. You are reading things into my post rather than just reading them for what they actually say.

You said “For every day you lived, some other idiot most likely died from food poisoning,” Now to me it seems you’re either referring to my mother, or myself as an idiot. If this is what you’re saying, I’m really sorry you feel that way toward someone you know nothing about and have completely misread.

You also made a comment about me being insulting. Please go reread my post and tell me exactly what I said that was insulting. Just read it, don’t add your interpretation of what I said. Just read what I actually said.

If I have made you or someone else here feel insulted, I’m sincerely sorry. That was never my intent. I did ask mcnerd a few questions that I believe he may have misinterpreted also. And I’ll make another post trying to explain whay I ask the questions. Nothing hidden, no secret motives, and no insult intended.

Now getting back to my original thread. Do you have a good and tested recipe for pickled jalapenos? That is what this thread was supposed to be about.

Take care,

Ken

Ken - simmer down. I just don't want you to undergo what I went thru re: home-canned food poisoning. Period. It was horrible. Period.

And way too many people still think that "grandma's" way is still the best way. Honest to God, Ken - I just have your health at heart here. I wouldn't wish what I went through to my worst enemy. And the product that caused the trauma was from a cousin who hunted, grew, & canned everything for his own independent existence. Apparently his methods weren't foolproof. And he definitely should have known better.

Unfortunately, he's now deceased. Shot through the head by his own nephew while deer hunting. But that's another story.

Ken - simmer down. I just don't want you to undergo what I went thru re: home-canned food poisoning. Period. It was horrible. Period.

And way too many people still think that "grandma's" way is still the best way. Honest to God, Ken - I just have your health at heart here. I wouldn't wish what I went through to my worst enemy. And the product that caused the trauma was from a cousin who hunted, grew, & canned everything for his own independent existence. Apparently his methods weren't foolproof. And he definitely should have known better.

Unfortunately, he's now deceased. Shot through the head by his own nephew while deer hunting. But that's another story.

Breezy, no need for me to simmer down. I'm fine. I appreciate your concern for my health. Not to fond of some of the other comments/remarks though.

Sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your cousin. I’m sure he and I probably had some things in common, although I have no plans, or thoughts of totally independent existence. I’m surprised he apparently only ate one of his peppers too.

It is an official title and you take a course of study to achieve it. Check with your local University Coop Extension for details.

And no I am not a Master Canner, mostly because the University Extension is not convenient in my area. You can however check your food preservation knowledge for free by taking an online self-study course provided by the Univ. of Georgia and the National Center for Home Food Preservation ([/SIZE]National Center for Home Food Preservation). I recommend it to everyone and you do get a Certificate after completing the course.[/FONT]

Make sure when you are doing your research that you keep in mind that canning made a major change in the 1990's causing all recipes and books to be reprinted and specifically tested in a laboratory by food scientists. Anything prior to that is considered unsafe, though there are a lot of people out there that prefer not to follow modern understanding.

It is not my intent here to debate issues or compare qualifications. I try to provide accurate information and their sources that will hopefully help people to learn the right way.

Mcnerd,

Believe me I’m not trying to get you to compare qualifications. Especially, not with me. Right now if you have canned more than 12 pints of peas in your life you’re already much more than qualified than me by experience. I’ve honestly taken it for granite from the beginning of our discussions you were more experienced than me and probably were giving me good advice. I’ve also book marked the web site with the pickled pepper recipe you posted. It will be a really useful site for me.

I also have no desire to start any kind of debate with you either. That has never been my intent. Wouldn’t that be pretty stupid on my part considering what I just told you about my experience?

I have asked you some questions that the answers seemed important to me, but you apparently don’t feel comfortable answering. Like about your canning experience, and how much you can, and what you can. No hidden motive, just curious. What really made so curious about this is the fact that you posted a recipe for me you haven’t tried yourself because it used lime and you believe lime is poison. I couldn’t understand why you would post a recipe for me you felt might poison you. I guess this made me think you may have some fears about canning caused by a lack of experience yourself.

I do feel like there may be a better forum somewhere for canning than this one. I really like this site and the forum setup. But, this site is mainly cooking oriented and not so canning and preserving oriented. I would probably be better off if I could find a canning forum with some canning experts who frequent there. Maybe some of those master canners you talked about. I do think it is pretty awesome that they have free canning courses on line.

I still have many questions I haven’t posted here.

Take care,

Ken

I suggest you go the the canning forum at RecipeZaar.com. They would probably love your questions and comments there.

Mcnerd, great site. Thank you again. I’m not sure they’ll appreciate my questions and comments there. But, just by browsing the site I did find answers to several canning questions I had without asking questions.

Take care,

Ken

Here you go bullet, try some of these...

Amazon.com: pickle crisp

I just searched for "pickle crisp" as I seem to remember it being a brand name. As for adding dill flavor, I use a mortis and pestil and crush the dill then I add it to my boiling pickle juice. I strain the solids out as I add it to the jar.

Here you go bullet, try some of these...

Amazon.com: pickle crisp

I just searched for "pickle crisp" as I seem to remember it being a brand name. As for adding dill flavor, I use a mortis and pestil and crush the dill then I add it to my boiling pickle juice. I strain the solids out as I add it to the jar.

Bigdaddy,

I appreciate the help. Hope you won’t mind me asking a few questions.

• Do you believe it is safe to add the pickle crisp to most, or all pickling solutions?

I had a wife die in 1991. She canned pickled peppers 3 years. The first 2 years the peppers were very mushy. The 3rd year she added some type of premixed pickling mix to make the peppers crisp. The 3rd year they turned out perfect. I’m afraid she never wrote down what it was she used. I believe this pickle crisp may be the stuff.

• When you ground the dill, was it dried sprigs, or dill seeds? I know my wife just added a sprig or two to each jar of peppers before processing. I’ve read that grinding the seeds actually gives a stronger dill flavor.

• Do you have a recipe to share that you’ve actually made?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

I've always used fresh sprigs. Thats why I strain it out. Some books say fresh herbs can be dangerous to can. However, every recipe seems to call for sprigs in the jar. Thats includes my Mom's recipe. I am erring on the side of caution here.

I have not personally used the pickle crisp. I plan on picking some up this summer because I have planted pickle plants in the garden.

As for recipes, all I have are for pickles and I am not quite satisfied with the results yet. Crushing up fresh sprigs does get the flavor in the mix and the smell in the air though!

BigD

Last edited:
Ken,

I've always used fresh sprigs. Thats why I strain it out. Some books say fresh herbs can be dangerous to can. However, every recipe seems to call for sprigs in the jar. Thats includes my Mom's recipe. I am erring on the side of caution here.

I have not personally used the pickle crisp. I plan on picking some up this summer because I have planted pickle plants in the garden.

As for recipes, all I have are for pickles and I am not quite satisfied with the results yet. Crushing up fresh sprigs does get the flavor in the mix and the smell in the air though!

BigD

BigD, thanks for all the help. It’s nice to have someone actually answer questions I have without trying to psychoanalyze why I’m asking.

Erring on the side of caution is a good thing.

If I recall correctly my wife used a dill pickle mix to pickle the jalapeños that turned out so well. I also believe the mix had alum in it. I believe I’ll do a little research and see if I can find out exactly what is in pickle crisp. I believe that may have been what she used.

Thanks again,

Ken

Most of the mixes I read say that they are avoiding alum. I don't know what is wrong with alum, maybe it affects the flavor too much. Anyway, if I get it first I will report back but if you get yours first let me know what happens!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom