"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 11-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Head Chef

There are several approved and tested recipes for pickled hot peppers containing olive oil, but it must be done carefully because the oil will climb up the sides of the jar and can interfere with the sealing process. There is also a (minor) danger of water/bacteria particles being surrounded and protected by the oil during the heat processing.

Sample recipe at National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Pickle

Old 12-24-2009, 02:14 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I guess Im missing something.

They are peppers not pickles!I thought it was funny that you put them into quarintine in the garage .I have heard that peppers are dangerous to preserve.As the others have stated in not so many words This is no place for the novice.I have never canned anything and I know absolutly nothing about it,but knowing what I know I will freeze my extra peppers and buy my pickled peppers.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:16 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna be View Post
They are peppers not pickles!
Yes these are peppers, but they are also pickles since they were pickled. Anything that is pickled becomes a pickle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna be View Post
This is no place for the novice.I have never canned anything and I know absolutly nothing about it
Since you say you know nothing about the subject, let me educate you a little. There is no reason a novice should not can. It is a very easy and safe thing to do as long as you follow a few basic instructions that most anyone would have no trouble following. There is no reason to scare people away from this great activity as it can be a lot of fun, can save money and food, and just makes a lot of sense for a lot of people to do. Remember, every single person who has canned was a novice the first time they did it.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I was not implieing that canneing or pickleing should not be done or was too dangerious to be done .The only reason I responded to this post is that I would love to pickle some serano peppers and not haveing the basic canneing skills I have chosen not attempt this.Are fresh peppers a little more challenging to safely pickle?I have heard this over and over mabey Im wrong.Hone your skills on some safer items, and to suggest otherwise is a disservice to the reader.Thats all I ment.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quite frankly, I wouldn't use oil when making pickled peppers. But, I wouldn't hesitate to make pickled peppers using a vinegar solution. Of course, I would follow an approved recipe, can find them on the Bell canning site. I just wouldn't use one with oil in it, having a friend that nearly died after eating some canned with oil.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
Master Chef

Not following the instructions, as GB said, is asking for trouble no matter what you are canning or how long you have been canning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado State University Extension Service - Fact Sheet # 9.314
Pickled peppers and mixed vegetable-pepper home-canned products are commonly prepared by many Colorado households. These products also have been implicated in botulism deaths due to the use of untested recipes, under-acidified products, addition of too much oil, or lack of processing.
The National Center for Home Food Preservation is a good place to start learning about canning, and the Pickled Hot Peppers page steps you through the process with one recipe. The Colorado State University Extension Fact Sheet # 9.314 Making Pickled Peppers at Home is also good (conforms to the standards at the NCHFP) but has a little more info and recipes for pickled peppers.

If you can follow instructions there is no reason for you to be afraid to try it!
Old 12-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Thanks for the places to look to be safe .I really do think it would be fun to try.I will still try my hand at safer starter items any suggestions?
Old 12-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #18
Head Chef

Any of the recipes without oil... notice that the only recipe that had a botulism warning was the one with oil. I've made pickles with cucumbers and beets for years. They are very easy. I think the recipes for the peppers that just have a vinegar base would be fun to try as well. One can pickle just about anything.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Pickling in Vinegar and salt should not be a problem as long as recipe proportions are followed exactly. I have done this and am not an experienced or expert canner by any means. I would not use oil in the pickling mix unless I found a reliable recipe. You shouldnt have a problem as long as you follow recipes and stick to the stated proportions for sugar, vinegar and salt. Canning is tricky when you are preserving meat or veggies and fruit that is low in acid. I dont think you have this problem when you are pickling as the salt and sugar as well as vinegar supplies all the necessary acid and preserves the veg.

good luck

Tags
jalapenos, pickled