Pickling banana peppers and jalapenos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrissay

Assistant Cook
We grew banana peppes and jalapenos in our garden this year and would love to pickle them. I have done some searches on how to do this but can't seem to find the right information.
I pickled my jalapenos last year but they turned out VERY mushy. Can someone tell me please how to pickle so they are crisper??
Last year I boiled olive oil and water and poured it over cut-up jalapenos in mason jars with a bay leaf and hot water bathed them for about 10 minutes - the result was mushy!!

thank you!

Last year I boiled olive oil and water and poured it over cut-up jalapenos in mason jars with a bay leaf and hot water bathed them for about 10 minutes - the result was mushy!!
Where are you getting your recipes from? You could have killed yourself with that concoction! You don't "can" in oil or even store such things in oil at room temperature because of the Botulism toxin threat.

If you want to preserve whole peppers, you are better off freezing them. You already learning what happens when you try to can them.

Jalapenos survive better when canned as a chopped up ingredient in a relish, jam, or similar.

I would recommend you purchase the Ball Blue Book of Preserving, which is the bible for all canners. It has recipes and proper instructions for doing things.

I have to agree with mcnerd in asking ... where did you get that recipe??? From your description - what you did is not too safe because it contains no preservative - and it certainly is no pickle!

Marinaded peppers would use alcohol with the oil, packed in straight oil they would be oil cured (after being brined and/or dried) - and both would result in a soft pepper. Pickled peppers would be preserved with vinegar and could be crisp.

You might start by reading the How Do I Pickle information on the National Center for Home Food Preservation website. Read that info and you, too, can pickle a peck of peppers just like Peter Piper. :LOL:

hmm...well I guess I had a very bad source ...but i found the recipe ..online. Anyway - noted not to try that again :)
Thank you for the book recommendations, I'll be sure to check them out so I can pickle my peppers!!:cool:

I used to hear old people talk about canning peppers in oil, but it always sounded dangerous to me.

Here's the recipe I used last year, and they were really good. You can use all banana or all jalapeno if you prefer.

Connie’s Pickled Banana Peppers

½ cup salt
½ cup sugar
1 qt. white vinegar
½ tsp mustard seed
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp turmeric
2-3 pods of garlic
2 sliced jalapeno peppers
2 packed cups sliced sweet banana peppers, seeded

Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil, then let simmer for 30 minutes. Pack banana pepper rings, jalapenos and garlic into quart jar. Pour hot vinegar solution into filled jars. Allow to cool, then store in refrigerator. Let stand 2 weeks before opening.

If you want to can these instead of refrigerating them, follow appropriate canning procedures and give them a boiling water bath for about 5 minutes as soon as the jars are filled.

Have you given any thought to drying them? That is my method of keeping them.

No, I haven't. I'm just looking for ways for them not to goto waste and so we can use them at a later time. I'm open to suggestions!;)

Drying is pretty easy, safe, and, if you can figure out how to do it, makes really cool decoration in the kitchen if you string them. I just hang mine in a mesh bag. If you Google pepper drying, you will find many ways to dry, but basically, you need a small amount of heat and air.

I usually cut them into rings/ slices, add some vinegar, salt, water and a little sugar ( all to taste) toss it in the fridge, and it just kinda sits there fir months. I take them out and toss them and sandwiches when needed. Nothing great, but good.

Back
Top Bottom