"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 10-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #11
Senior Cook

That's surprising to hear. I guess that the smaller the beet, the less the boiling time and therefore the greater the chance it will retain its colour.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Hi, tax. Tks for your suggestion. However, if you boil a cut beet, it bleeds and turns light in colour. That is why beets are always boiled whole and why I was wondering what to do.
The knack with boiling beetroot is not to peel them and not to cut the stems off too close to the bulb - about 2 inches is fine - and cook them whole.

The boiling water still ends up purple but the beetroot retains its colour. They are easy to peel when cooked but I'd suggest you wear vinyl or latex gloves when doing it (you can buy these very cheaply in the pharmacy or the supermarket or the 1/$1 shop if you have such a place) otherwise you'll have stained hands.

This is the way my mother taught me to do it when pickling beetroot or making them into chutney or just cooking them to use as a vegetable.

Roasting them can take ages - again, I wouldn't peel them or cut them up first.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
First, there is no insect damage. I have actually seen the bunnies get into both my carrot and beet beds!

Now that I've decided to roast, I'll take advice to try it both ways: with removal of bad edges first; and retaining the bad edges.

Next question, kids: Should I truly roast (dry heat) my beets, OR should I put foil over the baking dish for steaming?

Sorry to trouble y'all...many thanks. What a neat place, where so many are willing to help.
As regards the bunnies, my neighbour ties old CDs at intervals along strings which she hangs across her veg and fruit beds. It seems to deter Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny as well as the birds.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Mad Cook [is that mad as in angry or mad as in nut case?] - many thanx for your thorough instructions!

I did roast a few and made pickles. I will boil the rest.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Mad Cook [is that mad as in angry or mad as in nut case?] - many thanx for your thorough instructions!

I did roast a few and made pickles. I will boil the rest.
A bit of both depending on the mood I'm in. (There are those who would say definitely nut case all the time)

Tags
beets