"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The Ball recipe for pickled carrots had processing time at 30 minutes, which I thought was a bit long too.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Wine Guy

I've found that Ball's website tends to publish canning times that are longer than other sources. Even the National Center for Home Food Preservation only says 15 minutes, and they definitely err on the side of caution.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Only 10 minutes in the water bath? Do I need to adjust for altitude? And thanks mcnerd. I may give this one a go subbing dill for basil.
What's your altitude? Over 1,000', you do have to adjust. Water boils at a lower temperature. There's a chart here: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publi...ning_fs-02.pdf I have also read to add 2 minutes for every 1,000' above sea level.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
What's your altitude? Over 1,000', you do have to adjust. Water boils at a lower temperature. There's a chart here: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publi...ning_fs-02.pdf I have also read to add 2 minutes for every 1,000' above sea level.
2109 ft above sealevel. So from what I read there, increase my time to 15 minutes. I thought elevation was a factor. Thanks taxlady.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
2109 ft above sealevel. So from what I read there, increase my time to 15 minutes. I thought elevation was a factor. Thanks taxlady.
You are very welcome. I wouldn't want you endangering yourself with incorrectly canned food.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You are very welcome. I wouldn't want you endangering yourself with incorrectly canned food.
Me either! Although I have eaten many a pickle that did not get water bathed. I'm not as young and indestructible anymore though. And now I'M the one pickling I figure I should at least TRY to do everything safely.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #17
Wine Guy

Quote:
...my regular pickle brine (4cups distilled water and 1/4 cup coarse salt) and add 1/4 cup vinegar to it?
Alix, I was just looking at your original post. Are you sure this is right? 4 cups water, 1/4 cup salt, and 1/4 cup vinegar?

1/4 cup doesn't seem like near enough vinegar to me. My usual base brine for pickling is 4 cups water, 4 cups vinegar, and 1/2 cup pickling salt.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Alix, I was just looking at your original post. Are you sure this is right? 4 cups water, 1/4 cup salt, and 1/4 cup vinegar?

1/4 cup doesn't seem like near enough vinegar to me. My usual base brine for pickling is 4 cups water, 4 cups vinegar, and 1/2 cup pickling salt.
No Steve, I wanted an amount of vinegar. That was a question. When I pickle cucumbers there is no vinegar in my brine. It is JUST the salt and water. So you do 4 c each distilled water and vinegar?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
No Steve, I wanted an amount of vinegar. That was a question. When I pickle cucumbers there is no vinegar in my brine. It is JUST the salt and water. So you do 4 c each distilled water and vinegar?
Yes, I use equal parts vinegar and water. My recipe is for "raw pack" pickles, so I just boil the brine, pour it over the packed veggies, and then process.

If you don't use vinegar, then I assume you make fermented pickles? My grandmother used to make those. I'd be interested in your recipe.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hm. Methinks I need a new Ball Blue Book. Mine is from 1991. I was looking online for the pickled carrot recipe I'd quoted and can't find it. I don't think the internet was around back then.

Tags
carrots, carrot