"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 09-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Everymom

I would like to do some dilled carrots. I've seen lots of recipes but there is too much STUFF in the brine.

Think I can just do my regular pickle brine (4cups distilled water and 1/4 cup coarse salt) and add 1/4 cup vinegar to it?

How long do I bath them?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I made pickled carrots years ago, using Ball's recipe. 1/4 inch headspace, 30 minutes in the boiling bath. I would think you could add or take away spices as you'd like.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Everymom

Were they dilled carrots? I am going to go look it up, but things are freaky on the old computer today.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Head Chef

I assume that if you want Dilled Carrots that you will add Dill to your jars besides the vinegar and salt brine. Sugar is also recommended in a small amount to cut the harshness of the vinegar. For the salt I would stick to Kosher or Pickling/Canning Salt since other salts have impurities or additives which will cloud your liquid.

Here's my recipe:
Basil Carrots

Yield: 6-7 half-pint

2 lbs fresh carrots
4 cups white wine vinegar or rice wine vinegar
1 cup sugar
Fresh basil

1. Prepare jars and lids for water bath canning. Start heating the water in your canner. Wash and peel the carrots and cut them to fit inside the jars. Be sure to leave a 1/2 inch of head-space (the space from the top of the ingredients to the top of the jar). In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine vinegar and sugar. (I used white wine vinegar this time) Let this mixture come to a boil. Meanwhile, thinly slice the basil leaves in groups of three and add to each jar. Then pack in as many carrots as will comfortably fit into each jar.

2. After all the jars are packed, fill each jar with the boiling hot vinegar mixture. Leave a 1/2 inch head-space at the top of each jar. Run a spatula or wooden skewer around the sides of each jar to loosen any air bubbles. If necessary, add more vinegar mixture to maintain the 1/2 inch head-space.

3. Wipe off the tops of the jars with a hot, wet dish towel. Then add the prepared lids and jar rings to each jar. Tighten the lids to just finger tight. Do not crank down on the lid too tightly.

4. At this point, you have the option of not processing the jars and storing them in the refrigerator. But they must be eaten within two weeks. For long term storage, the jars must be processed by the water bath canning method for 10 minutes.

5. Once the jars are processed, check the seals. Store unsealed jars in the refrigerator and use within two weeks. Store the sealed jars in the pantry. Wait at least one week before eating so that they carrots will be well flavored.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
Everymom

Only 10 minutes in the water bath? Do I need to adjust for altitude? And thanks mcnerd. I may give this one a go subbing dill for basil.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I would like to do some dilled carrots. I've seen lots of recipes but there is too much STUFF in the brine.

Think I can just do my regular pickle brine (4cups distilled water and 1/4 cup coarse salt) and add 1/4 cup vinegar to it?

How long do I bath them?

Looks perfect to me. What's the bath ? You mean the resting time ? In this case I would go for at least 1 week... (not sure if that's what you meant though ;) )
frenchguycooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Head Chef

Very few BWB recipes need to go beyond 10 minutes to pasteurize against the basic bacteria, etc., that are high acid. Some fruit and dense recipes do have to go a much longer period however.

Altitude will affect when you achieve a rolling boil but not the time itself.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchguycooking View Post
....What's the bath ? You mean the resting time ?
The "Bath" is canning in a Boiling Water Canner which pasteurizes and sterilizes the jar and contents so it can be stored in the pantry at room temperature. That way you don't get poisoned eating the food later.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
The "Bath" is canning in a Boiling Water Canner which pasteurizes and sterilizes the jar and contents so it can be stored in the pantry at room temperature. That way you don't get poisoned eating the food later.
Oh... Thanks ;)
frenchguycooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Only 10 minutes in the water bath? Do I need to adjust for altitude? And thanks mcnerd. I may give this one a go subbing dill for basil.
I'm not McNerd, but for pint jars 10 minutes is all that's required for most pickles. For quarts, you want to go 15 minutes.

Any longer than that and it really saps the crunch out of the veggies.

Tags
carrots, carrot