Pickling crock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I want to start making "fermented" Kraut, Kimchee and pickles..

I need to buy a stoneware "crock".. any suggestions?

it looks like some people use one with a "plate" or wood insert that fits into the crock..with a weight on top..

others use a bag of water method to hold the veggies down under the brine..

any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

I use an old glass jar for my kimchee, with a saucer and a bag of salt as my weight.
Works good for pickles too.

I use a large glass jar with a vapor lock in the lid. I'm only doing it for myself so I don't need a big crock.

You do whatever is the easiest with the tools on hand, but the requirement is to keep the product submerged and allow gas to escape but no air gets in.

I have a 5 gallon stoneware crock...old. I use it for kraut. Pickles, Kimchi, I have a 4 L. glass jar with a wire bail top. I wouldn't feel safe in the house with a 5 gallon batch of Kimchi making.

I want to start making "fermented" Kraut, Kimchee and pickles..

I need to buy a stoneware "crock".. any suggestions?

it looks like some people use one with a "plate" or wood insert that fits into the crock..with a weight on top..

others use a bag of water method to hold the veggies down under the brine..

any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Back in my day at UT (circa 1972 or so) there was an antique shop on 6th (about a block or 2 East of Congress) that had both old and new "crockery". If you want to take a "road trip" down through the hill country - there were shops there, too. If they still exist - if you can find one of the old hippie co-ops ... they sold them, too (I remember where it was but I couldn't tell you how to get there ... it was a few blocks North of the UT campus just a block or 2 West of Guadalupe - I think)

Look around the antique shops and you will find some old stoneware "crocks". Or, just Google stoneware crockery and you'll find some links.

Back
Top Bottom