Pickling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnson

Assistant Cook
I've been making pickled eggs for years and I just throw them in the fridge.

I'm not really into the preservation part of canning I just love pickled stuff and I've been looking to pickle more stuff like veggies and meats, etc. I started looking around the web for tips on home made pickling mixes and was overwhelmed with all the info on the dangers of canning stuff.

My question is, since I'm not into preserving them to keep in the cupboard, do I really need one of these pressure caners to kill bacteria if I'm just going to throw them in the fridge and eat them as soon as they're done?

I would really like to avoid spending $100 on a giant pressure cooker. All of the information I have read assumes that I'm trying to preserve them. I'm just trying to make some tasty veggies and stuff.

Welcome to Dc, Johnson!

My pickled eggs, I do as you do. Vegetables, I process in a hot water bath. I've never done meat, but if I did, I'd be buying a pressure canner. If you're only doing one jar of pickled beets / beans, then you can keep them in the fridge for awhile. Pickles usually get better after sitting awhile, so , I don't eat them as soon as they are done. Might help if you tell us what kind of things you are interested in pickling.

Well I've got a few pickled squid recipes. I wanted to to a mix of veggies like mini onions, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, etc. I did this once in a huge jar and just left it in the fridge for a week. The ones that didnt get soggy tasted great and I'm still alive. I also wanted to try pickled beef strips (like corned beef jerky I guess).

They would be stored in the fridge even while marinating and some recipes I've read just mention refrigerating and not pressure canning.

My question is, since I'm not into preserving them to keep in the cupboard, do I really need one of these pressure caners to kill bacteria if I'm just going to throw them in the fridge and eat them as soon as they're done?
I love it when somebody asks a smart question. The answer to your question is "no" you don't have to do all that pressure canning stuff if you want to just keep it in the refrigerator.

I make homemade salsa all the time and keep it in the refrigerator. Some things I will actually use my FoodSaver to vacuum seal it so it lasts a couple weeks longer.

You can also freeze many such items.

Back
Top Bottom