"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 05-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Head Chef

well im not a big fan of pickled eggs, but love the brine recipe my neighbor gave me. thats why im wondering what vegis a re good to pickle

Old 05-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
Head Chef

As long as the brine is brought to a boil and then poured over the veggie pieces and stored in the refrigerator, almost any veggie can be pickled.

That leftover pickle juice should also be boiled before adding fresh low-acid foods to it, otherwise you might see things growing it in sooner than you like, unless you have a habit of eating them all within a few days.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
As long as the brine is brought to a boil and then poured over the veggie pieces and stored in the refrigerator, almost any veggie can be pickled.

That leftover pickle juice should also be boiled before adding fresh low-acid foods to it, otherwise you might see things growing it in sooner than you like, unless you have a habit of eating them all within a few days.
nice thanks
Old 05-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
Head Chef

One would blanch the veggies first, right? Except for cucumbers...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #15
Head Chef

Yes, some would do better being blanched first to stop the enzyme activity, but not all require it. I would research each vegetable with a simple search ("pickling ______") and see what the usual practice is.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #16
Head Chef

do i need to cut the carrots or cucs in pieces or leave whole

thanx

matt
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
Head Chef

You generally want to slice them as thin as possible so the pickling brine will penetrate in a reasonable period. The thicker the pieces the longer you will have to wait for infusion to occur.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
Master Chef

That depends on the size, YT. Tiny baby carrots or small cukes are OK whole. Otherwise, you need to slice them, either crosswise, diagonally, or into sticks. Other possibilities are cauliflower florets, whole baby okra, sliced green tomatoes, blanched green beans, or any kind of pepper.

By the way, the cauliflower florets go great with pickle beets. It turns a beautiful shade of bright pink that makes a great accent for an antipasto plate.

I think you should check out the some other recipes...Some vegies require special treatment. For instance, sliced cukes are usually salted and covered with ice before pickling.

My favorite sweet brine is:

1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tbl mixed pickling spice (optional)

Mix all, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Pour hot liquid over prepared vegies in jars, seal and can in boiling water bath or refrigerate.

If you want a salty one, search out my post "pick a peck'a pickled peppers" on the canning forum.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
That depends on the size, YT. Tiny baby carrots or small cukes are OK whole. Otherwise, you need to slice them, either crosswise, diagonally, or into sticks. Other possibilities are cauliflower florets, whole baby okra, sliced green tomatoes, blanched green beans, or any kind of pepper.

By the way, the cauliflower florets go great with pickle beets. It turns a beautiful shade of bright pink that makes a great accent for an antipasto plate.

I think you should check out the some other recipes...Some vegies require special treatment. For instance, sliced cukes are usually salted and covered with ice before pickling.

My favorite sweet brine is:

1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tbl mixed pickling spice (optional)

Mix all, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Pour hot liquid over prepared vegies in jars, seal and can in boiling water bath or refrigerate.

If you want a salty one, search out my post "pick a peck'a pickled peppers" on the canning forum.
thanx, i will look into that. i want to try this out and see if i like it
Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 PM   #20
Head Chef

I planted cucumbers, so will look forward to making pickles in the fall. I like to make a 7-day sweet pickle.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote