"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Head Chef

Pickling techniques (boiling vs no boiling)

Im a big pickle fan (savory, not sweet)
Ive tried many recipes over the years and have experimented with my own , and passed down family recipes as well.

Im not interested in canning or long term storage. Basically I eat as I go.
I love pickles at all stages ( from the cucumber stage, all the way to sour..), so I am known for sneaking a pickle each day, usually emptying the jar before they have made it through the complete cycle.

So,the question is :
Some recipes call for boiling the liquid ( water, salt, dry spices, garlic....) then dumping it on the cucumbers and letting them sit.

Other recipes call for adding all ingredients, not boiling or heating up ( cold water ...)

So, has anyone had any preference to either method ( pros / cons). Any other suggested methods? Is there a reason for one over the other?? Any other pickling comments or suggestions welcome. Want to get my act together before i have more cukes then i know what to do with .

Larry

Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

When my folks used to make pickles and later when I made them, we packed the jars with the veggies and spices then bring the vinegar and water to a boil with the salt and pour that into the jars. Then we would cover the jars and the cooling liquid would create a partial vacuum in the jar holding the lid on and keeping the nasties out.

We stored these jars in a cool dark place for 6 weeks then the feast began. We refrigerated after opening.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Same here as Andy except most of the time I do a hot water bath.

I have made some that say to let them sit a while before eating. The flavors get stronger the longer they sit.

Last year we added cauliflower, carrots, green beans, peppers etc to some of the pickles we made .. nice combos from those experiments.

I would think your imagination would be your best friend if you like pickles.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
Master Chef

No boiling, water straight from the tap. Ready to eat in 3 days garlic dill pickles.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Master Chef

I boil my liquid but never the actual pickles. If you boil pickles they become limp.
I do pretty much the same thing as Andy, I just turn my jars upside down while they cool. This seals it's pretty well. Got this tip from an Indian friend that sells homemade pickles.
I put my jars straight into the fridge and allow to sit for a week or 2 before eating.
I don't like using tap water without boiling it first. Tap water is far from clean in SA lol!
You could use cold liquid if you are planning on eating the pickles fast but the flavour takes much longer to absorb.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote