Preserve Eggs for a Longer Period

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shagufta

Assistant Cook
1.Wash the eggs and put them slowly in a container full of lime water or mustard oil. The eggs will not only be preserved for long - they will not get spoiled either.
2.For storing eggs for longer time say for about 30-40 days, you should apply any cooking oil with the help of brush on the egg shell. They will stay for long time.
:rolleyes:

This is really good info for us. We have twenty laying hens and sometimes we get a backlog of eggs. Lets face it, you can only eat so much quiche, make so much mayonaise, etc. I am going to test this out. Thank you for the information.

P.S. Quick question...do you store the eggs in the lime water or mustard oil or do you let them soak for a bit and then store them?

When we have a large number of eggs, I make sure they are clean, dry and that the shell is perfect (no tiny chips or cracks), then rub them lightly but thoroughly with vaseline or petroleum jelly. Stored in eggs boxes or shallow cartons with plenty of air flow through the boxes (punch some holes if necessary), and kept in a cool place they keep for some months. They gradually lose their freshness, and after a couple of months are not so good for frying or poaching, but will still be fine for scrambling or baking cakes. The main thing is to keep the eggshells sealed 100 percent My grandmother used to keep a large bucket of lime water in a corner of her kitchen and slide in any extra eggs her chooks laid, which is another way of keeping the shells sealed and preserving them for later use. Yes, keep them in the lime water.

Wow! What great information. You sound like you run into the same problems we do. When our goats are milking, we get a ton of milk and look for ways to preserve that by making yogurt, cheese, etc. I did read an article on canning milk that I am going to check into. We also have around 20 hens that free range and they are still laying strong. Quick question, did your grandmother leave the eggs in the lime water or take them out after some time and store? Thank you again for the great info.

I keep the extra eggs in brine or saline water.

It generally remain fresh for 20 days.

And I live in a tropical region, so eggs will remain fresh for more days in colder climate.

I normally keep them in the "barbicide" blue water. I dunno if they keep longer, but MAN! They are tasty after a long trek through the hills.

Hi, Cajun Cook - the eggs always seemed to be in the bucke of lime water and were used direct from there. It's a long time ago and I was only nine or ten at the time, so can only go on memory from long ago, but never noticed any eggs stored out of the lime water.
We have several saanen miling goats and I'm having a problem at the moment with using the mile before it sours. Made several batches of cottage cheese (soured, then dripped through cloth), but found that doesn't keep very well either. Any secrets you can share? And if you start off with fresh goats milk, what do you use to curdle it?

Gosh guys - sounds like pretty scary stuff to me. Where have all of you been for the last few decades??? Farmers wives were doing cartwheels & handstands when refrigeration became affordable for the masses. No more water glass eggs or the other unbelievably primitive (& possibly eventually poisonous) means you all have posted above.

Freeze your extra darn eggs. Pickle them (safely, according to standards). Sell them; give them away. But for heaven's sake don't go back to methods that were marginal at best - for safety &/or for taste. I have all due respect for all you "homesteaders" out there, but for every "bad thing" that's erupted due to modern technology food-wise, there's been a "good thing". And one of those good things has been refrigeration & freezing (& SAFE canning/preserving).

Please don't send us back into the dark ages. Especially when it comes to eggs. My many years raising organic free-range chickens were some of the happiest of my life. And I would never DREAM of ruining the quality & flavor of those eggs by trying to preserve them by some of the primitive methods outlined above. Good grief!! Be homesteaders if you want to, but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Edited to add that fresh eggs last a very LONG TIME under proper refrigeration. Before everyone became "in the know" about fresh eggs, battery-produced eggs were kept for 3-6 MONTHS under regular refrigeration in warehouses before being shipped to supermarkets. No lye, no special chemicals, just refrigeration. Now I'm certainly not advocating anyone to keep eggs for 6 months in their refrigerator - what I'm saying is that the outdated methods being mentioned above are truly not necessary, unless, of course, you have a thing for dangerous nostalgia.

Last edited:
I normally keep them in the "barbicide" blue water. I dunno if they keep longer, but MAN! They are tasty after a long trek through the hills.

Please tell me yer kidding, right? LOL :LOL: Now I keep thinking of the barber that use to cut my dads hair and that glass cylinder of blue fluid with all the combs in it behind him. Ah, the memories. LOL

Back
Top Bottom