Preserved Lemons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I made up a batch last night. I have only tried making them once before and really enjoyed them in a number of recipes. It was only a small amount, so this time I made up a full litre jar, which fit 5 fairly large lemons and the juice from two more. Here is a shot of the first day. Fairly cloudy. I will post another in 30 days when they are ready.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 271
I just got this recipe from Epicurious.com. The first time I tried it I didn't use any spices and they were very good. I found this recipe fairly quickly and figured,"why not?". Very easy, you don't have to vacuum seal or anything. Heck, you don't even hae to refrigerate if you don't want to. At least according to this recipe. Other recipes call for leaving it out for 2 or 3 days then refrigerating for a few weeks. It is pretty hot here, so I think I may toss them in the fridge in a few days. Just to prevent any disasters.
I don't see why it wouldn't work with limes.

I just got this recipe from Epicurious.com. The first time I tried it I didn't use any spices and they were very good. I found this recipe fairly quickly and figured,"why not?". Very easy, you don't have to vacuum seal or anything. Heck, you don't even hae to refrigerate if you don't want to. At least according to this recipe. Other recipes call for leaving it out for 2 or 3 days then refrigerating for a few weeks. It is pretty hot here, so I think I may toss them in the fridge in a few days. Just to prevent any disasters.
I don't see why it wouldn't work with limes.
Preserved Lemons Recipe at Epicurious.com

I don't understand the purpose, since fresh lemons and limes are available year-round.

i love the idea because i love lemon anything. however, way to much salt for me. any recipes using sugar instead? was that a dumb question?
Well, the salt is the preservative. I scrape the pulp off and dice the peel up fairly small. Using them like one would use ginger, or capers. A little goes a long way.

Hello,I just got done juicing a case of 115 lemons you can freeze the juice and also can freeze the whole lemon but when it thaws it will be mushy , can still juice it and can use the skin for lemon peel if needed, 115 lemons gave me almost 25 cups of juice.

Back
Top Bottom