Preserving brussel sprouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
Hello All,
Our brussel sprouts have done very well this year and we have more than we can eat right now ... any thoughts on how I can preserve them? I checked both my Joy of Cooking and my Better Homes & Garden Cookbooks and neither have preserving instructions for sprouts. Ideas? Can they be blanched and frozen? Help!

Thank you for any insight!

Yes - they can definitely be blanched & frozen. That's how the commercial growers do it, & their frozen sprouts are terrific.

Depending on the size of the sprouts, I'd blanch for just a couple of minutes tops, then drain well & maybe even pat dry with paper towels, then freeze in portion sizes you're most likely to use.

Trim outer leaves.
Separate by size i.e., small, medium, large.
Blanch for 3, 4, and 5 minutes respectively.
I would still do the ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Remember, an ice water bath takes the same amount of time to cool as the cooking process took to cook them. Use plenty of ice to water ratio (I think I remember the ratio being 1-1-1, meaning 1 pound vegetables, 1 pound ice, 1 gallon water).
Let thoroughly drain in a colander or on a cookie cooling rack.

Once dry place according to size and portions in bags.

I LOVE Brussels sprouts and I'm seriously jealous!

I love it when I get confirmation - I'm right so few times! :LOL:

OMG - that mustard butter recipe looks awesome!

Another way I like to cook is cut raw sprouts in half, drizzle with balsamic and roast in oven.

Gotta love that Google. :LOL: I better check on how long mine have been in the freezer, as I don't recall an expiration date :ohmy:

The mustard butter had me droolin' and luv the balsamic. I know what I'm having for dinner. :)

Thank you Thank you Thank you everyone! I appreciate the feedback and I agree, that recipe looks awesome! We just steam and toss with a little butter, salt and pepper and enjoy.

This was the first time we tried growing them and with this success, they have definately claimed their spot for next year!

Thank you again!

Follow Kitchenelf's directions but I would suggest that you wait until after the first frost to start harvesting the sprouts. I don't know where you are located and if frost is an issue. I was told and learned the hard way that if sprouts are picked before they have been "frosted" they tend to be more bitter. I plant them every year and freeze them. They are so much better homegrown! I plant lots of stuff in my garden but what I really want for the freezer are the green/yellow beans and the sprouts! Store bought can't compare!

...I would suggest that you wait until after the first frost to start harvesting the sprouts...

Thank you for this suggestion. We were wondering when we could harvest and have found varing information. One site told us to wait until the bottom leaves started to turn yellow and go up from there. Well ... no yellow yet! We did cut the very bottom ring off of 3 of the plants and ate them - delicious! I like knowing, though, what others are doing and having success with. BTW, we are in central WI ... About 2 1/2 hours south of the UP.

Elf - If I could send you some, I would!

Thank you again to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom