Preserving minced garlic at home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wench

Assistant Cook
HI this is my first time. I've read some of your comments regarding the storing of garli and I'm hoping you may be able to help me. We grow our own and have just finished planting our 2nd crop and I have a lot of little cloves left over which were no good for planting or for sale. What I'd like to do is preserve them for my own use as and when needed. Can I mince it and bottle it safely? using the vacola (water bath) method? Do I add lemon juice for acidity, if so how much? Thanks

I would suggest drying them in a food dehydrator.

I also raise and sell garlic. Where do you live? This is not the usual time of the year to be planting garlic where i live. For the largest bulbs, it is planted in late fall for a mid summer harvest.

Thanks I may have to look into a dehydrator, my hubby just loves me getting more gadgets for the kitchen.

I live on the east coast of Australia, about half way between Sydney & Brisbane near a place called Coffs Harbour. Our season planting is the same as yours but for our hemisphere.

Hey wench, kitchen gadgets are the best! Depending how small the cloves are, I would just slice them in half and lay the uncut side on the tray, so they do not stick to the tray.

Good Luck, and Welcome!

Wench - I must chime in with those telling you NOT to try preserving your garlic at home other than drying it.

The strong possibility of serious, if not fatal, food poisoning is way too serious to experiment with. I'd even toss the extra garlic rather than try it.

Back
Top Bottom