Preserving Sun Dried tomatoes in oil...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tebk25

Assistant Cook
Hey all!

I'm drying some Romas right now (grew them myself indoors) in the oven and I know they'll last forever in the freezer, but I love the oil they're preserved in at the store. Just wondering if there's any way that they'll last in the jar with oil, or if there's some sort of pressure canning method needed to keep them in oil for a while (pressure canning oils... I'm not too sure about that). I know not to use garlic, but I figure herbed oils last a very long time, so why wouldn't tomato herbed oils? Any info would be great!

Thanks!

Thank you!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! You'll make myself and most of my family members very happy come winter!

No problem. Keep us posted on what you did, where you got the supplies, etc. I have a bunch of tomato plants going this year that I might just do the same.

Still a tad leary on the garlic idea. The author of that link used it, but I'm not sure if it was done properly.

I found it searching confit methods.

It is not safe for long term storage. It will keep fine in the fridge for up to 10 days, but after that you are risking getting botulism.

Store bought oils are made in a different way than home oils like this which is why they can last a very long time.

I like the "I opened a jar and tried, and so far haven't died yet so I guess I did ok." But people do what they like to do, but I think I will stand back when it is said that a "vinegar bath" protects everything from potential botulism poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom