"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 05-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Preserving TakeAway

Hi all. I am a good cook, and don't usually do this, but last night we went for an indian and couldnt eat it all, so he bagged it up for us.

I popped it in the fridge when i got home.

Just wondering can i eat this today if i cook it thouroughly?

Thanks in advanced. Looks like ill be on this forum alot, i love cooking, looks like a nice forum :)

Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I always bring 'doggie' bags home it seems and I never hesitate to heat the next day. (just bring the food up to 140 F. and you're good to go)

and welcome to the forums!!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Welcome! I see no reason why you cannot eat the food today. Enjoy!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Reheat and eat. Never a problem. It's usually good fer several days after your original dinner.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Master Chef

I nearly always bring home a "doggy bag" - regardless of where we eat. Portions today are so huge, there always seems to be enough for a nice lunch the following day.

And Andy is right - just like any other leftover, it should be perfectly fine for even a couple of days afterwards, so don't feel you HAVE to eat it next day if that doesn't fit into your plans.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Leftovers are ok. But do be careful if there's coconut milk. One time overnight is fine for keeping and re-warming but not more than 2 days. Stomach upset. The feeling of stomach bloating and fill with air like a balloon. It's my opinion.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Since you refrigerated it as soon as you got home, you should be able to enjoy it again today. Just heat it up thoroughly.

Welcome to DC. Hope you plan to stay with us a nice long while.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
Master Chef

Even though they put leftover portions usually in a styrofoam container go ahead and place in a ziploc tight baggie. Otherwise they will tend to dry out in your refrigerator. Then you can microwave the the bag. Now, if it's leftover pizza, egg rolls, or anything deep fried you can place these guys on a preheated pizza stone to "crisp up" again. Watch, though, so they don't burn but it's the next best thing to microwaving which makes deep-fried stuff taste "mushy".
Old 05-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Master Chef

Yup - or even just on a hot baking sheet.

We have a terrific little "French" bistro here that makes potatoe "fries" from heaven - lol!!! Even the waitress takes leftovers home!

Heated up in a 425-degree oven on a shallow bakng sheet - they're still to die for.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Granny's talking. I'm not in a habit of bringing home a doggy bag or edible leftovers home and keep them refrigerated. Old-fashioned I am, I love my food piping hot. Bet you if the dish is spicy hot (hot food lovers of course), even the gravy is mopped clean. Yummy.......

Cooking is now convenient. Pre-mix, food paste, sauces, ground spices etc are easily available. Like I mentioned about coconut milk, it goes rancid fast in this part of the world. We have vacuum-packed coconut milk now sold in wet markets and supermarkets like fresh milk in cartons. They are hot-bathed (learned the term from Canning & Preserves) before they leave for the home markets and also exported. I don't use packed coconut milk to make desserts, only in cooking curry. We are fortunate to have fresh coconut easily available, Tedious it may be, we extract the milk from the coconut shreads. There's a difference in taste.

Looks like I've side-tracked from doggy bag to coconut milk.

Anyway, enjoy your meal!