Preserving TakeAway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cascadingstylez

Assistant Cook
Hi all. I am a good cook, and don't usually do this, but last night we went for an indian and couldnt eat it all, so he bagged it up for us.

I popped it in the fridge when i got home.

Just wondering can i eat this today if i cook it thouroughly?

Thanks in advanced. Looks like ill be on this forum alot, i love cooking, looks like a nice forum :)

I always bring 'doggie' bags home it seems and I never hesitate to heat the next day. (just bring the food up to 140 F. and you're good to go)

and welcome to the forums!!

Last edited:
Reheat and eat. Never a problem. It's usually good fer several days after your original dinner.

I nearly always bring home a "doggy bag" - regardless of where we eat. Portions today are so huge, there always seems to be enough for a nice lunch the following day.

And Andy is right - just like any other leftover, it should be perfectly fine for even a couple of days afterwards, so don't feel you HAVE to eat it next day if that doesn't fit into your plans.

Leftovers are ok. But do be careful if there's coconut milk. One time overnight is fine for keeping and re-warming but not more than 2 days. Stomach upset. The feeling of stomach bloating and fill with air like a balloon. It's my opinion.

Even though they put leftover portions usually in a styrofoam container go ahead and place in a ziploc tight baggie. Otherwise they will tend to dry out in your refrigerator. Then you can microwave the the bag. Now, if it's leftover pizza, egg rolls, or anything deep fried you can place these guys on a preheated pizza stone to "crisp up" again. Watch, though, so they don't burn but it's the next best thing to microwaving which makes deep-fried stuff taste "mushy".

Yup - or even just on a hot baking sheet.

We have a terrific little "French" bistro here that makes potatoe "fries" from heaven - lol!!! Even the waitress takes leftovers home!

Heated up in a 425-degree oven on a shallow bakng sheet - they're still to die for.

Granny's talking. I'm not in a habit of bringing home a doggy bag or edible leftovers home and keep them refrigerated. Old-fashioned I am, I love my food piping hot. Bet you if the dish is spicy hot (hot food lovers of course), even the gravy is mopped clean. Yummy.......

Cooking is now convenient. Pre-mix, food paste, sauces, ground spices etc are easily available. Like I mentioned about coconut milk, it goes rancid fast in this part of the world. We have vacuum-packed coconut milk now sold in wet markets and supermarkets like fresh milk in cartons. They are hot-bathed (learned the term from Canning & Preserves) before they leave for the home markets and also exported. I don't use packed coconut milk to make desserts, only in cooking curry. We are fortunate to have fresh coconut easily available, Tedious it may be, we extract the milk from the coconut shreads. There's a difference in taste.

Looks like I've side-tracked from doggy bag to coconut milk.

Anyway, enjoy your meal!

From what I gather ... this is a bring home portion from your meal which was fully cooked - but more than your could eat. Bringing it home and placing it into the refrigerator straight away was the right thing to do.

It's generally good for 2-3 days (even if it contains coconut milk) ... all you need to do is heat it - and then eat. A microwave oven is great for something like this - but a conventional oven will also work, just takes longer.

Back
Top Bottom