Pressure Canner for glass top stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zygirl

Assistant Cook
Hi Folks,

I am looking for suggestions on which pressure canner I should get for a glass top stove. I keep reading about this "automatic shut off" stuff too and I am unsure if my stove has that. I purchased the stove in December of 2013 and it's a Frigidaire. Other than that I have not seen anything in the manual (but it's quite a large manual and I certainly didn't read all of it).

I have limited knowledge of canning and I want to do it right. To boot, I'm immune compromised so I need to be very careful. However I planted 30 tomato plants this year and I really would love to have home grown tomato sauce to enjoy all winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I think the problem is that canners are big and heavy and might crack the glass.

How about a separate burner for the canner--induction or just electric? Be sure you get one with enough output--it takes a lot to bring water and jars of food to temperature. And be careful where you put it--I am sure that it would produce enough heat to damage a formica countertop.

Lots of canners on this site, so be sure to ask if you have questions!

I agree that it might crack the glass, and will scratch it up pretty easily too. Mine gets very heavy, and the instructions tell me to always Lift it to put it on a burner, because if you slide it, it will damage your stove (and they were talking about one with gas burners).

That said, you will Love pressure canning!! For years my MIL or husband would do the actual process of it, I'd do the cooking of the sauce and prep the jars, fill the jars, etc. but they would do the actual pressure canning. I finally wanted to learn how to do it myself, and although the steps are Important...it is easy too! You will get a system down and if you stick to it, really it's quite easy.

Have fun and don't be intimidated by it! :chef:

Thanks guys.

I am OK with doing small batches to protect the stove if need be. I have made lots of chickens on the stovetop in stock pots, hams, massive pots of chilli, etc. even if I could only do a few jars at a time that's ok. I work from home, so I could come switch the jars regularly while working. I grew indeterminate tomatoes also so I expect to have smaller harvests rather than one large harvest.

My grandmother cans but she just boils the jar and caps and puts the hot tomato mixture in them and puts the caps on. She plays with fire, but she's been doing it "that way forever" and "isn't dead yet" (her words, not mine!)

Worst comes to worst, I have a friend who's interested in canning and has a regular range. I'm sure it wouldn't take much convincing to do the canning at her house and I could share my sauce with her. However I would really enjoy doing it on my own stove. It's a shame because I had no idea they were so inconvenient for canning. When I bought my new stove every stove in the building was glass too except one. They told me the newer ones aren't like the older style which were bad for canning (but I'm sure they just wanted me to buy the stove!). I might call the manufacturer just to see what they have to say.

Why not spring for an electric one and save the wear and tear on your stove? Your hydro bill would probably be lower using an electric pressure cooker rather than your stove.

That's actually something I would definitely consider. I had no idea there were such a thing! Do you have any recommendations for good ones? I did a search online but I'm not coming up with very many options.

I don't own a pressure cooker, but if I were going to buy one I would choose one with as many different functions as possible, other than pressure cooking, such as slow cooker and/or rice cooker. For example, my rice cooker also steams vegetables, slow cooks, and make oatmeal.I would also go for the largest one available to fit as many jars as possible.

Pressure cookers and pressure canners are two different animals.

I have never canned anything, so this is just a shot in the dark here.

I just cooked a Chicken Tortilla Soup outdoors on the side burner of my gas grill.

Would that work for the pressure canner since you're worried about your glass top stove?

I actually just bought a new BBQ... With a gas side burner! However I am curious as to how much propane (that stuff is expensive at $40 a small container... It doesn't last long either!) one would use doing it. Anyone have any insight to that? I already have to invest in quite a few things... If I tack on the gas costs I could be in way deep for some cans of tomato sauce... :)

I would probably make the sauce in the house on the stove, and just can outdoors.

I actually just bought a new BBQ... With a gas side burner! However I am curious as to how much propane (that stuff is expensive at $40 a small container... It doesn't last long either!) one would use doing it. Anyone have any insight to that? I already have to invest in quite a few things... If I tack on the gas costs I could be in way deep for some cans of tomato sauce... :)

I would probably make the sauce in the house on the stove, and just can outdoors.

Your side burner won't use any more gas than one of your BBQ burners. Your actual pressure canning will take less time than it would take to BBQ chicken.
I don't know where you're getting your overpriced propane but your UHaul in New Brunswick is charging about $24.00 for the tank used in a gas BBQ.
Good luck.

I would definitely be careful using the side burner for something heavy. Many less expensive grills don't have a sturdy frame.

A 20 pound propane tank will run your grill for about 20 hours. This is clearly approximate based on the size of the burners and their settings.

We have had many discussions here about Pressure Canners. Just my two cents: 1. I use one on my flat top stove and have had no problems. The surface area of my canner is about equal to my stock pot or my pasta pot. No one has said anything about those. You can get vaccums on items when you set them down. Remember though that vaccums are caused when a hot air under a lid is cooled and contracts. To avoid a vaccum move your canner/stock pot to the edge of the cook top where there is a slight lip, while it's still hot, problem of vaccum solved. 2. Water under 15 lbs pressure is about 257 degrees F, and so is the steam it produces. You heat the cans with the steam and therfore do not have to put 15 quarts of water in a 17 quart canner. This is not a water canner, as where you have to submerge the cans to get the 212 degree temps on them. If your pressure canner had an adjustable pressure regulator you can can at 5 PSI and get about 225 degrees for some jellies .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom