"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 11-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I don't think mixing vegetables with meat is a problem when you sterilize it in a pressure canner. It's just the matter of keeping it hot enough for long enough (the precise times and temperatures should be taken from a trusted source) to kill all the bacteria - pasteurizing does not kill them all. But if you heat things up to 121 degrees and the meat and veg reach this temperature and stay at that temperature for at least 20 minutes (with the temperature reaching the center of the product being sterilized) all the bacteria, including spores, should be killed. At least this is how you sterilize all stuff for research purposes, and there even one bacteria cell cannot be left alive ;)

You also have to remember that the dish will taste differently when cooked under pressure. There are different chemical reactions occurring between the taste-making compounds then they do when cooking in a normal pot. This is why getting a cookbook that is just about that is very important ;)

Old 11-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Head Chef

It is not a no-no if a food scientist has tested the recipe and found it safe. That is why you should only use recipes from the sources we have listed (BBB, Easy to Preserve, both of them from U. Georgia).

There are a lot of people on line who have canned things and suffered no ill effects, but dumb luck plays a part in that. I would rather be safe, and I would rather not waste my efforts, money and produce on an untested recipe.

I do have some adventure in my soul but it doesn't extend to canning.

(I have canned for more years than I want to tell, and I work for University of Missouri Extension. During the summer, we field hundreds of canning questions, so I have heard them all, and experienced a lot of them.)

Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Yes, if you are not an expert, you should always follow the recipe from a trustworthy source. I was just trying to explain the mechanics a little bit. But it is true, you can get really sick or even die because of eating not properly canned food.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb

Ok. I get the point. I'll follow the recipe. :-) You know, some of us, we like to experiment, we like to achieve something that is even better... But I do see my limitations. It's an everlasting thing...
Chris
Old 11-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardeffect View Post
I don't think mixing vegetables with meat is a problem when you sterilize it in a pressure canner. It's just the matter of keeping it hot enough for long enough (the precise times and temperatures should be taken from a trusted source) to kill all the bacteria - pasteurizing does not kill them all. But if you heat things up to 121 degrees and the meat and veg reach this temperature and stay at that temperature for at least 20 minutes (with the temperature reaching the center of the product being sterilized) all the bacteria, including spores, should be killed. At least this is how you sterilize all stuff for research purposes, and there even one bacteria cell cannot be left alive ;)

You also have to remember that the dish will taste differently when cooked under pressure. There are different chemical reactions occurring between the taste-making compounds then they do when cooking in a normal pot. This is why getting a cookbook that is just about that is very important ;)
Thank you VERY MUCH, I do appreciate what you're saying. Cooking generally is a bit like alchemy, and pressure canning should not be very different... I've bought an All American Canner and as long as I make sure I get the temperature right and for long enough - that should make it OK.
Kind regards, Chris
Old 11-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I'm glad to help. Just mind what is written in my next post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardeffect View Post
Yes, if you are not an expert, you should always follow the recipe from a trustworthy source. I was just trying to explain the mechanics a little bit. But it is true, you can get really sick or even die because of eating not properly canned food.
But yes. There is no magic there, but science happening ;). And because of that with given parameters you get a given result - but to choose the parameters to be correct, you need to have an in-depth knowledge on food safety and probably some serious scientific equipment. It is impossible to guess or even estimate it on your own.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Smile words of truth

Yes, but that's true in every kitchen, is it not? People get sick - the chicken is undercooked etc.. You just have to do the best you can, make sure that you keep the right temperature, keep it clean and so on.
Chris
Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Of course. But the bacterium that makes botox neurotoxin (Clostridium botulinum) is unfortunately the one that can develop in canned meat, if it was not sterilized properly. This is very dangerous. A small amount of ingested botox will paralyze you completely and you can die from suffocation within minutes. It is a much more serious danger than salmonella poisoning from undercooked chicken.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

death and destruction

Good point, the dangers are potentially very severe with canning, I'm sure. This is a quite a learning curve for me. Canning is unchartered waters.
Chris
Old 11-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Question mason jars or not

If you guys are not completely bored by now, I have yet another question. Where I live it's difficult to get hold of Mason jars (incl. lids, bands etc). What we do have however are jars with a metal lever-arm sealing mechanism and rubber sealing rings. Can I use these instead?

Tags