Pressure Canning Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The spring-lock jars with glass lids require the rubber gaskets which may be just as hard to get your hands on and the seals should not be used in canning more than once. These jars are no longer approved for canning in the USA.

mason jars or not

Rubber gaskets are easily obtained where I live (Norway). Just out of interest - will this kind of jar release steam the same way (as the mason jars do) during pressure canning? :chef:

I have no information on it since none of the official publications cover these jars. You might research "Weck" jars which are a similar design that originated in Germany.

Reactions: TCM
I would be willing to bet that Norway has some sort of organization like our USDA or Extension, that will have info on those rubber ring jars. I have no experience, and they are not used very much in the US.

Good luck, and do be careful!!

mason jars or not

Thank you, I will. :chef:You may be right about that we have something like USDA. I'll certainly check. What I do know is that pressure canning is not a big thing here. We do a lot of water bath canning of course- jams etc but not pressure canning.

If I can't get any answers here, I'll just have to experiment. It shouldn't be too difficult to see if the seal is OK or not. Probably just a matter of releasing the spring-lock and see if the glass lid remains fastened. That's my theory at least :chef:

I'm a little bit bouncy. I love beef stew and found a recipe that I can use to make some stew and can it up! I'm hoping to give this a try tomorrow. Many nights, I wish I had some stew and it will be awesome to simply open a jar.

I think....okay, I'm going to say that I appreciate my small pressure canner. I'm still too wary of it to use the word "like" yet. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom