"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-08-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

pressure canning or water bath

I am new to canning and just read the ball blue book--can I use my pressure canner to can tomatoes? Or do I have to buy a water bath too?

Old 07-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Master Chef

Sure you can...no problem. They'll only take a few minutes that way. Your pressure canner should have come with an instruction book, and it will tell you how long and what pressure for tomatoes.
You can also use your pressure canner like a boiling water bath...just don't tighten the lid.

PS...Here's a site that will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/fruits.php

Old 07-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Senior Cook

THere is a difference between a pressure canner and a pressure cooker. Do not use the cooker for canning. For a water bath you need a pan with a rack to hold the jars and deep enough to completely cover the jars with water by about 2".
Old 07-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I only use pressure canners to can my vegetables. In my continuing efforts to downsize my "stuff", I have gotten rid of my boiling water bath canner. When I can my tomatoes, I cannot resist adding garlic, onions, celery, etc, so I must use the pressure canner. Some things, not when I have added low acid veggies, I only bring up to 11 pounds pressure and turn off the heat (pressure can for 0 minutes). Follow the current recommendations with a canner book, either Ball or the pressure canner instructions.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Don't you think you STILL need your water bath canner for sterilizing the jars, lids and the equipment used in the process?

I'd still keep it for THAT if for nothing else!

~Corey123.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Don't you think you STILL need your water bath canner for sterilizing the jars, lids and the equipment used in the process?

I'd still keep it for THAT if for nothing else!

~Corey123.

I don't need a vessel nearly that large solely to sterilize my jars and equipment. I have a wide assortment of stainless steel stock pots for cheese making, and any one of those pots does the job nicely.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog
I am new to canning and just read the ball blue book--can I use my pressure canner to can tomatoes? Or do I have to buy a water bath too?
If the recipe for canning tomatoes you are using calls for a water canner - yes, just don't seal the lid - it will then work just like a water canner. If you have a large baking sheet that will cover the top of the pot - you can use that for a lid. A water canner isn't very sophisticated ... it's just a pot with a rack on the bottom that will elevate the jars 1/2-1 inch above the bottom of the pot and you can cover them with 1-2 inches of water and boil it for a specified period of time.

Canners usually have lift-out baskets which are really nice. But, I started canning using a tamale pot with a flat grate (like a cake cooking rack) in the bottom ... it worked just fine.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I might get into this now, since it seems to be more interesting.

At first, I looked at it as a lot of hard work. But now I'm beginning to think of it as something that might be fun!

~Corey123.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

well I bought a waterbath pot anyhow--I can always use an extra pot
thanks