Problem with preserves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm trying to make fig-lemon preserves from a cookbook I have. It's not thickening at all and I've let it cook for much longer than the recipe says. It's just figs, sugar and sliced lemon. I macerated it all overnight and have been cooking it for a couple hours now. No thickening.

I have liquid pectin, RealFruit Instant Pectin and arrowroot. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

Hey GG, well, you can do either thing. You can cook it until the sugar thickens it, and you can test on a cold spoon or plate, until it can be swiped through, and not melt back into the swiped areas. Or you can add pectin. Either will produce a thickened product.

I find that the recipes for cooking down the sugar are my favorite, the water goes away and the sugar thickens it (don't over do it) and your product is just a fabulous as a pectin thickened product. The problem, each fruit, has a different amount of water, so the cooking time may decrease or increase. Be flexible.

If you choose to use the liquid pectin, I find that 2 pouches to 8 cups of fruit gave a very nice consistency. I would be worried about cooking the fruit too much longer as you will lose so much of the flavor.

Thanks for your replies. I had forgotten about the cold plate test (I have not made a lot of sweet preserves), so I did that and it was fine. So I went ahead and canned some. I also froze some, just to see how that turns out, and kept some for the fridge. It tastes really good.

I'm sure it is too late. When making preserves it is very important to boil the fruit, not simmer. It has to boil.

Back
Top Bottom