Purchased Pepperoncini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I often keep a jar of pepperoncini in the fridge. I found a recipe making appetizers from them and they were successful, tasty but messy to make as they were a little on the small size.

I wanted to make them again and purchased a larger jar which I had tried to pick the one with the largest peppers showing. They were much neater to make, two, even three bites to eat. I did notice that they were a different brand but figured that it wouldn't make that much of a difference, I mean they are "pickles"! ...oops

The 'skins' on these peppers do not seem to be processed and are like plastic wrap - or that annoying tomato skin that doesn't ever seem to disintegrate in the stew... it makes the appetizers, to my mind, very unpleasant to eat.

My question is:
Can I dump the entire jar into a pot and reprocess them? Will that fix the skin?

If you just want to get rid of the skins, lightly score the end opposite the stem, dump in a pot of water at a rolling boil, wait 30 seconds, then shock in icewater.

Much like removing tomato skins.

Or, maybe you can dry them off and drain, then scorch the skins over a flame like a roasted red pepper. It might add another flavor to the stew.

Last edited:
hmmm... thanks bucky, I might try reboiling just a couple of the larger ones and see if the skins come off easily.

But I rather imagine the flesh won't hold up to too much handling after that because they've already been processed once.

The more I think on it - maybe I'll just suffer my way thru the jar as is on my own - should only take about 6 or 8 months. :LOL:

Are they all intended for stew?

There's lots of other things that might work well with thick skinned pepperoncini. Like stuffing with cheese and prosciutto, or anchovy and garlic flavored breadcrumbs. Or basil and fresh mozz.

If the pickled peppers are large enough I would take an old fashioned vegetable peeler and remove a few strips of skin around the pickled pepper to make it easier to sink your teeth into the pickled peppers Peter Piper picked. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

MMPEL3Ka.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom