Question about acidity of this recipe.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that when you add lemon juice or vinegar to a canning recipe, it's a necessity. It helps add acidity to the canning recipe, which inhibits the growth of bacteria, and thus is safe for somebody to consume.

I found a recipe for apricot-jalapeno jelly. It calls for 2 cups of cider vinegar. People who have made the recipe commented on the fact that
the amount of vinegar gave it a very acidic and vinegary taste (and that the vinegar overpowered the other flavors in the dish).

Now is there any possible way I could reduce the vinegar in the recipe so that you can taste the other ingredients in the canning recipe? I realize it's a necessity, but people won't eat it if it doesn't taste good.

No! You must never alter a tested and verified canning recipe. If you want to make changes to a recipe....do so, but don't can it. Keep it in the refrigerator or freeze it instead.

I haven't tried that jelly, but all the recipes I see for it does call for 2 cups apply cider vinegar plus six cups of sugar. Could it be possible they used regular vinegar (harsh) instead or tried using less sugar? I'm not aware of any proper canning recipe that would taste as bad as you/they say unless something was changed.

I wouldn't try to chance changing it. I'd try to find another recipe you like. I did a Habanero Gold jelly last year with apricots that was great.

Well I wouldn't be afraid to change the recipe. After all, someone wrote the recipe and you will be writing a derivative recipe.

First I might change from cider to white vinegar or I would try changing the ratio of sugar to acid. Acid is necessary to prevent Botulism but not to the levels of battery acid. I think you'lldo fine with some thoughtful changes.

Jennyema has listed a bunch of pickle recipes, which ought to give you a good path to steer as you make your own formulation.

Remember a simple brine will pickle, adding acid is more for long term preserving.

Most jellies have a water activity that is low enough to prevent the growth of botulism organisms and hence the production of toxin. In addition, this recipe most likely will have a very low PH which will also prevent bacterial growth.

I would not be too concerned about lowering the vinegar amount in this recipe until you get the taste you like. The sugar will tie up most of the water and lower the water activity to a safe level.

I would refrigerate after opening and not leave it on the shelf for years though.

It is never prudent to reduce the level of acidity in anything you are canning that is processed in a boiling water canner.

Preservatives include salt, acid, and sugar - they are used in various amounts, and either alone or in combination, depending on the application.

The reason acid is added to a jelly recipe is to get it to gel - the primary preservative in this recipe (assuming it is the standard 2 cups vinegar and 6 cups sugar) is the sugar. To get a gel you need a balanced ratio of pectin/acid/sugar - plus time and heat. Reducing the acid generally results in a too soft gel, or it may not gel at all and you just wind up with a jar of syrup.

Taste is subjective - what some people think about this recipe may not agree with what you, or some others, think about it. I once made an orange marmalade that I thought was too bitter ... everyone who tasted it thought it was perfect and not bitter at all.

It is never prudent to reduce the level of acidity in anything you are canning that is processed in a boiling water canner.

Preservatives include salt, acid, and sugar - they are used in various amounts, and either alone or in combination, depending on the application.

The reason acid is added to a jelly recipe is to get it to gel - the primary preservative in this recipe (assuming it is the standard 2 cups vinegar and 6 cups sugar) is the sugar. To get a gel you need a balanced ratio of pectin/acid/sugar - plus time and heat. Reducing the acid generally results in a too soft gel, or it may not gel at all and you just wind up with a jar of syrup.

Taste is subjective - what some people think about this recipe may not agree with what you, or some others, think about it. I once made an orange marmalade that I thought was too bitter ... everyone who tasted it thought it was perfect and not bitter at all.

While the acid may be necessary for gel to form, it is not necessary as a food safety consideration in this example, since the sugar will reduce the water activity and prevent pathogenic bacterial growth.

Therefore, reducing the acid somewhat and experimenting will not cause an unsafe product in this case, but may cause a change in the products utility.

While the acid may be necessary for gel to form, it is not necessary as a food safety consideration in this example, since the sugar will reduce the water activity and prevent pathogenic bacterial growth.

Which is exactly why I said: "... the primary preservative in this recipe (assuming it is the standard 2 cups vinegar and 6 cups sugar) is the sugar."

Therefore, reducing the acid somewhat and experimenting will not cause an unsafe product in this case, but may cause a change in the products utility.

Which is exactly why I said: "The reason acid is added to a jelly recipe is to get it to gel ... Reducing the acid generally results in a too soft gel, or it may not gel at all and you just wind up with a jar of syrup."

essenceofeclectic has never canned anything - so I doubt that a deep discussion of food chemistry will mean as much in answering a question as a simple less technical answer.

Which is exactly why I said: "... the primary preservative in this recipe (assuming it is the standard 2 cups vinegar and 6 cups sugar) is the sugar."

Which is exactly why I said: "The reason acid is added to a jelly recipe is to get it to gel ... Reducing the acid generally results in a too soft gel, or it may not gel at all and you just wind up with a jar of syrup."

essenceofeclectic has never canned anything - so I doubt that a deep discussion of food chemistry will mean as much in answering a question as a simple less technical answer.

Not questioning you, Michael. The OP seemed to be specifically asking about if the food would be safe if the amount of vinegar was altered and that is what I was addressing.

Back
Top Bottom