"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving
Old 07-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
Head Chef
Sattie, that is how I did my sauce last year--halved the tomatoes and onions, scattered a number of cloves of garlic, and chopped some celery and green peppers.

Roasted them at 400 for about an hour, if I remember right, then zizzed them up in the food processor and canned the sauce. (No room in the freezer.)

I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
Master Chef
I do similar to the last two writers. I do semi-seed them (not religiously the way you do for someone with diverticulitis, just enough to reduce some of the liquid that freezing tomatoes entail). On the baking sheet I also put a head of garlic (separate if you want to, but no need to peel), a thick-sliced onion, and if your tastes run that way, peppers, either sweet or hot. Drizzle with olive oil, S&P. I bake for longer at a lower temp (maybe 325 for an hour, but it really depends on the size and type of tomato). The idea is to dry them out some and concentrate their sweetness. Then through a food mill (strainer or china cap), garlic cloves, onions and all, and into the freezer. When you thaw tomatoes you've frozen using almost any method, there will be some watery-ness (is that a word??). It will float to the top and be clear. I just pour it off. What remains will be a nice sauce. At that time you can season for either salsa or a red sauce for pasta, pizza, or even in chili.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #13
Senior Cook
I like to can mine, I think they taste better than frozen. I also am making some canned roasted tomato sauce. I canned salsa one year and I decided it was better to use the preserved tomatoes and make the salsa with them as needed. Peppers and onions come out less than crisp from the freezer and a dark color when canned that was not very appealing.
carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
Red face freezing tomatoes

I blanch tomatoes in boiling water for a minute then let slightly cool to handle and peel...then put in freezer bags or containers.

Originally Posted by Constance
I have a LOT of Roma tomatoes coming on right now. I have plenty of the big round ones for slicing and using fresh...I grow this kind to preserve. '
I've been making roasted tomato sauce out of them for the freezer, and want to make some salsa to freeze also.
Problem being, my peppers are just getting started and haven't caught up with the tomatoes yet.

My problem is that I can't stand over the stove and peel a bunch of tomatoes.
Question: I have heard you can freeze whole tomatoes, then dip in boiling water to remove the skins as needed.
Has anyone tried this?

I'm also thinking of oven-drying some of them, then packing in EVOO and freezing. Has anyone tried this?

I would appreciate any advice you all can give me.
judyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #15
Master Chef
Judyann, when peeling tomatoes, I don't stand over the stove and peel them. I slit that X on the bottom, toss into the boiling water, then into a huge bowl of ice water too cool, then on to several layers of paper or cloth towels. THEN I take a break and go back and peel when the heat is off. I, like many women my age, simply cannot stand over a hot stove for too long, or I won't need to salt anything, my sweat will do it! But, Barb L, if my crop comes up gangbusters, I'm going to try your method!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote