"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
Master Chef

Question about Freezing Tomatoes

I have a LOT of Roma tomatoes coming on right now. I have plenty of the big round ones for slicing and using fresh...I grow this kind to preserve. '
I've been making roasted tomato sauce out of them for the freezer, and want to make some salsa to freeze also.
Problem being, my peppers are just getting started and haven't caught up with the tomatoes yet.

My problem is that I can't stand over the stove and peel a bunch of tomatoes.
Question: I have heard you can freeze whole tomatoes, then dip in boiling water to remove the skins as needed.
Has anyone tried this?

I'm also thinking of oven-drying some of them, then packing in EVOO and freezing. Has anyone tried this?

I would appreciate any advice you all can give me.

Old 08-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
Everymom

I have blanched them and then frozen them for later use. It works well.

If you haven't already thought of it, I would suggest freezing the tomatoes until you are ready to make salsa, and then canning your salsa. It is very easy to do as tomatoes are very acidic. That way you will have beautifully jarred salsa on your pantry shelves either for you to use or to give as gifts.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Question: I have heard you can freeze whole tomatoes, then dip in boiling water to remove the skins as needed.
Has anyone tried this?
The method works like a magic also with fresh tomatoes, if they are ripe enough. You use a large fork to secure the tomato, dip in a boiling water for a few seconds and as you extract it the skin starts peeling right from the insertion of the fork, and the rest is easy without any labourous effort, try it!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
Executive Chef

The corn thread made me look this up.

I'm starting to get alot of romas and grape tomatoes. I would like to save some for a large pot of sauce and/or salads later on. Can I freeze them whole or do I need to remove the skins?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I have frozen tomatoes w/skin on - put on cookie sheet- freeze, then put in zip lock freezer bag. They are only good in sauces though, they do get mushy. When ready to use, take out and run warm water over frozen tomatoes to peel.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Sure, they can be frozen whole. I usually wash and dry them and put them into a zipper-lock freezer bag. I use them in soups, stews and sauces. All I ever do to remove the skins is to drop the frozen tomatoes into a bowl of cold tap water. The skins come off quite easily.

Saw Martha Stewart do a frozen Bloody Mary using frozen cherry tomatoes. She put a whole bunch of frozen cherry tomatoes (with skins on) into the blender and whizzed them up, then added the vodka, etc. Looked pretty neat.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I have frozen them with the skin on also. I find that when thawed, the skin peels off. Freezing them for salsa is a great idea!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Master Chef

Last year I made a huge batch of salsa, leaving the skins on the tomatoes. It was great fresh, but we had more than we could eat, and I froze the rest. When I thawed it out, I whizzed it in the food processer, and it made a great sauce!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
Head Chef

I have frozen whole tomatoes--the only warning I have is to remove the stems--they poke thru the bags if you are not careful.

The skins slip right off as soon as the 'maters thaw just a little.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
Master Chef

Just a thought.. on Alton Brown, they talked about roasting roma tomatoes with onions, garlic, and oregano. Put through a food mill and I froze the resulting sauce. I am hoping to use that sauce for a number of things. It turned out really nice. And I would think that freezing the sauce as opposed to whole tomatoes would not take up as much space.