Quick newbie questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phairphan

Assistant Cook
Yesterday I did pickled grape tomatoes from the Ball Blue Book and everything went fine except I never heard the jars pop while cooling. I checked today and they seemed to be sealed fine. Safe? Also I am going to do a bushel of apples for apple sauce as my kids eat it like crazy. Is it alright to make the applesauce one day and can it the next if I bring it back up to boiling? Thanks in advance, I'm new to canning and trying to learn so forgive all the dumb questions.
Chris.

Yep, as long as the lids are sealed you should be fine. FYI - I don't always hear mine pop either. I can't answer your second question, I have always canned or freezen my stuff the day I made it.

+1 on the lids. They don't have to audibly pop. But the centers should be depressed.

One test you can perform is to hold the jar upside down, over a bowl, and shake it hard. If the lid hasn't sealed properly you'll have a bowl full of whatever.

As to the applesauce: Absolutely! Just bring up up to the boiling point, and let it boil ten minutes, before filling the jars. Unlike when you first made it, however, you might want to cover it so it doesn't reduce too far.

Back
Top Bottom