"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Cook

Recipe doesn't give a processing time......please help.....

The recipe is for zucchini relish and it's a canning recipe. However, the recipe doesn't specify a processing time in a boiling water bath. I know there's a general rule of thumb for processing times for half pints and pints; that you go by that for your processing time if the original recipe doesn't give a processing time. Can somebody please clue me in on this? Thank you!

I would just give the link for the recipe, but I don't have enough posts in order to do so. I also can't copy and paste the recipe onto the forum because it's from another website.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior Cook

The recipe in the Ball Blue Book of Preserving says 10 minutes processing in the BWB after the water has come back up to a boil.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Head Chef

Joy of pickling also states 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Head Chef

If there is no instructions for processing in a Boiling Water Canner, it is probably an older "open kettle" processing recipe and may not be safe to actually stable and safe to process in a canner. There are a lot of them on the Internet. I would compare the recipe against one in the Ball Blue Book.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueenigma View Post
I know there's a general rule of thumb for processing times for half pints and pints; that you go by that for your processing time if the original recipe doesn't give a processing time. Can somebody please clue me in on this? Thank you!.
The best answer is - it depends on the recipe. Your recipe may, or may not, have enough acid or sugar to be safe for using a water canning bath - it might need pressure canning. Without knowing the recipe ... there is no way anyone can give you a safe answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueenigma View Post
I would just give the link for the recipe, but I don't have enough posts in order to do so. I also can't copy and paste the recipe onto the forum because it's from another website.
Please check your Private Messages (PM's). If you will send me the link to the recipe I can post it and then perhaps we can find you an answer that would be safe.