"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 07-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Cook

I too would suggest a food mill. I have an oxxo and it works well, no idea what it costs. It was a gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
With the cost of the jars, rings and lids, it is probably just as cheap as buying canned tomatoes, but somehow it makes me feel good knowing that I grew these tomatoes myself.
And they just taste so much better!

Old 07-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I Googled food mill. They go all the way up to $200. The one PF showed you is the average "good" one. Whichever one you get, make sure it is stainless steel so acidic foods won't react to it. And definitely make sure it has legs to sit on the side of the bowl. Otherwise you will be holding it over the bowl with one hand while churning with the other.

I had one for years. It made great mashed potatoes. Pureed veggies for baby food. Never had to peel the fruit for jam or jelly. The peel stayed in the food mill. Never peeled a tomato. Skin and seeds stayed behind.

And all this for a number of years for just $1.00. I got it at a yard sale. As the years passed and the kids grew up and left home, I sold it for $1.50 at my yard sale. I remember a young mother bought it to make baby food. She had her little girl in one of those baby slings that mothers wear to carry their babies in.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I suggest you get a food mill, like the one in the picture in PF's link. I have a plastic one with three metal disks. You can also use it for pureeing food, when you don't want the noise and spattering of a blender. You can also use it to rice potatoes. Or make applesauce - it will remove almost all of the pips and core.
I like the idea of having one with 3 different disks. Once I get one, I will probably find more uses for it.

GA Home Cook
- Sometimes it's nice to also have the juice from the tomatoes as well as the pulp because if you're using them in a recipe, the juice provides some of the liquid and has more taste than just adding water. It depends on what you are going to do with the tomatoes. Mine are usually added to a recipe in place of store bought.

Thanks everyone, for all the info.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I have one of these:

European Tomato Press - Lee Valley Tools

I tried the sieve method, the food mill, but prefer the tomato press. It is easy to clean. I run the tomatoes through 3x so that what gets fed to the hens is very dry. We have approximately 300 tomato plants so I make a lot of sauce and paste during tomato season.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have one of these:

European Tomato Press - Lee Valley Tools

I tried the sieve method, the food mill, but prefer the tomato press. It is easy to clean. I run the tomatoes through 3x so that what gets fed to the hens is very dry. We have approximately 300 tomato plants so I make a lot of sauce and paste during tomato season.

That's another choice, and also reasonably priced. Are the seeds and skins collected in a separate container from the juice and pulp? I will look for this item in US, but it looks like I can also order it from the website if I can't find it here.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
Executive Chef

CWS4322 - I clicked on your link about the chickens. I am basically a city girl, althought since marrying, I have lived in the suburbs. Our town used to be all farm country back in the day, but it's now zoned mostly residential as the farms have been sold off to developers. The farms that are left just grow corn. Just recently, they passed an ordinance allowing people to raise chickens. I don't know how many people have shown an interest in this, but it could get very interesting!!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
That's another choice, and also reasonably priced. Are the seeds and skins collected in a separate container from the juice and pulp? I will look for this item in US, but it looks like I can also order it from the website if I can't find it here.
The seeds and skins are collected in the hopper. It makes the best tomato juice if you like your tomato juice thick. It also has suction cups for feet so it sticks on the counter. I can process a lot of tomatoes in 1/2 and hour.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
CWS4322 - I clicked on your link about the chickens. I am basically a city girl, althought since marrying, I have lived in the suburbs. Our town used to be all farm country back in the day, but it's now zoned mostly residential as the farms have been sold off to developers. The farms that are left just grow corn. Just recently, they passed an ordinance allowing people to raise chickens. I don't know how many people have shown an interest in this, but it could get very interesting!!
Chickens are very easy to keep. They are also very entertaining!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Chickens are very easy to keep. They are also very entertaining!

There was another article yesterday about the new chicken ordinance. Right now, people have to have at least 10 acres to have any farm animals. The new law is they can have up to 7 chickens on a normal residential lot, and they have to have a fenced-in area and a certain type of shelter for them. People want to have fresh chickens and eggs that are not bought in a store.

It would be nice if farming started coming back to the area. There are still a lot of wide open spaces even though much of the township is residential. Most of the farmers are selling out to developers, or to the gas wells. I always liked the road side vegetable stands where you know you're getting locally grown produce.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
There was another article yesterday about the new chicken ordinance. Right now, people have to have at least 10 acres to have any farm animals. The new law is they can have up to 7 chickens on a normal residential lot, and they have to have a fenced-in area and a certain type of shelter for them. People want to have fresh chickens and eggs that are not bought in a store.

It would be nice if farming started coming back to the area. There are still a lot of wide open spaces even though much of the township is residential. Most of the farmers are selling out to developers, or to the gas wells. I always liked the road side vegetable stands where you know you're getting locally grown produce.
Having lived on a farm as a kid, and as CWS will tell you, you have to make sure you don't end up with more than one rooster. Most folks who want to have chickens, usually buy them as chicks and don't know the sex of them until one morning they wake up to crowing. Neighbors aren't to fond of that happening.

If you end up with more than one rooster, one of them has to go into the pot for Sunday dinner. Or you will have mayhem in the coop.

Tags
tomatoes