"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

That's what they do. Frankly, I've never used one but have seen them used all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_mill

Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
Master Chef

I was thinking along these lines. Amazon.com: 9605000A Food Press W/Pestle - T-Fal Wearever: Home & Garden

That's what my mom used. I don't know where hers went when we cleared out the kitchen after she passed away.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Never seen one work either....I see now it's kinda like my Grandmother's old chinois.

The thing (not the same brand) we use works like THIS..Juice and pulp go into a bowl...The skin, seeds etc are dispelled out of the end of the strainer. ~~~ Either will accomplish what the OP wants to accomplish.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Jabbur that's what we used, until we got this strainer thingy we have now...Both came from back when Moby Dick was a minnow.........

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
Senior Cook

From reviews of new food mills, it seems the older ones were better designed and better made. Reading reviews of the new Oxo, there were lots of complaints about both and also that it was too small and took 20 or 30 minutes to process a small amount. I'm hoping there is SOME model out there that can be purchased new and do a really good job. Otherwise it's back to boiling water and the paring knife.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by web-collage View Post
From reviews of new food mills, it seems the older ones were better designed and better made. Reading reviews of the new Oxo, there were lots of complaints about both and also that it was too small and took 20 or 30 minutes to process a small amount. I'm hoping there is SOME model out there that can be purchased new and do a really good job. Otherwise it's back to boiling water and the paring knife.

I wasn't promoting the OXO, just used it as an example of the tool I was suggesting. The OXO looks small. I believe there are quality mills with interchangeable plates that would do the job.

Keep in mind it may not be super fast but it's faster than blanching and hand peeling.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
yep, a food mill would be the best weapon of choice. removing skins and pulp is spot on what they do. I've never used one just because I don't work with tomatoes enough to need it. I do all my removing by hand.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I can tomato (pizza) sauce and I use a blender. Put the whole tomato in the blender, seeds, skin and all, as well as the other vegetables I add to make the sauce.

I do use a procedure though. Put 1/4 inch of water in a 6 gallon kettle, core and quarter the tomatoes into the pot, cover and cook until the top layer of tomatoes are soft, about one hour. Do not poke, stir or disturb. Scoop out softened tomatoes into a china hat or colandar, let tomato water drain off, and then dump the tomato innards into the blender. Add onions and other vegetables in with the tomatoes. Return the pureed tomato stuff to another pot and heat to boiling. It is ready to can. This method really saves time because you are not trying to reduce the sauce by cooking. The water is mechanically removed and the sauce is ready to can a few hours after you start.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #19
Head Chef

I have used that method, Beth! I thought I invented it! Sure is easier than blup-blup-blupping that sauce to thicken it. Much easier cleanup.

Now I cut all the veggies (tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic) up and roast them for an hour, then use the processor or stick blender. I don't peel anything but the onions and garlic. I do cut the stems out of the peppers and shake the seeds out.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
Head Chef

Oh--I also have a Vittoria tomatepresse--which I don't use unless I am canning juice.

Tags
tomato