"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I have used that method, Beth! I thought I invented it! Sure is easier than blup-blup-blupping that sauce to thicken it. Much easier cleanup.

Now I cut all the veggies (tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic) up and roast them for an hour, then use the processor or stick blender. I don't peel anything but the onions and garlic. I do cut the stems out of the peppers and shake the seeds out.
Interesting, I may try that method too.

You may have invented it Sparrowgrass..the article I read on the reducing technique, I read it years ago in Countryside and Small Stock Journal, and thought it was brilliant. Did you submit an article anywhere?

Old 03-30-2011, 04:08 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's what they do. Frankly, I've never used one but have seen them used all the time.

Food mill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We call them a Mouli my mum used hers to puree veg for me when I was a baby.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a food mill and a tomato press. I prefer the tomato press when making sauce. Mine's from Lee Valley Tools (a friend gave it to me as a gift).

Lee Valley Tools - Online Catalog

Not sure if the link goes to the right page or not. It is on page 150.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #24
Head Chef

Try this link: Lee Valley Tools - European Tomato Press

That is the press I have. I like it, sturdy, easy to use and clean.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #25
Head Chef

No, Beth, I didn't write an article. I think that I started to cook the tomatoes and got interrupted and put them in the fridge. When I took them out to begin again, they had separated, and I thought it would be easier to reduce the liquid by itself.

I do love the roasting method--it brings out the sweetness of the veggies.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #26
Senior Cook

That Lee Valley press looks more like a workable tool, not trying to be too many things. I will investigate it further. Yesterday read the reviews on Rosle, a German company with expensive but generally well made kitchen tools. Very bad complaining reviews on their new food mill, now made in China, not Germany.

I like cooking down the tomatoes with seasonings into a thick tomato sauce; the house smells good and the sauce is ready to heat and mix with pasta, a quick meal any time during the winter.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #27
Executive Chef

I just finished making some tomato soup from fresh tomatoes that have been diced, skins included.

After a brief oven roast and 10 minutes of simmering in a pot (with a cup of chicken broth), my stick blender did a very nice job of reducing seeds, skin and pulp into a uniform soup.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I personally know the Lee family. Mrs. Lee is quite the cook (she and I are perogie making buddies and used to walk our Newfoundland dogs together--they were 1/2 brother and sister). She has a kitchen to die for. Mr. Lee has designed/found a lot of the tools because of what she wanted (he's from Saskatewan and one of the nicest people I have ever met--you'd never know he is a member of the Order of Canada and sought after as a speaker at business events or as a mentor, a really nice, honest man--even if he did make the mistake of getting that 48# turkey one year). She is a sweetie as well. She is also quite the gardener. So the gardening tools and equipment are good. They started the company in their basement years ago and have since done succession of the company to one of their sons. I have always liked the stuff I've bought there. The quality is good, the prices are reasonable.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #29
Senior Cook

Thanks for the recommendation. The tomato press is made in Italy and looks like it will do that one tomato thing well. Reasonable price. Now to grow some tomatoes. Local farmers' market starts in May and won't have any until mid June at earliest. My best tomato sauce was made from Roma tomatoes but very few were available here.

I give the skins and cores to my chickens.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know how long your growing season is, but you will want to stay away from heirloom romas if your growing season is less than 90 days (add two-three weeks for the plants to get over the shock of being transplanted). Here in SE Ontario, I push it to harvest San Maranzo. They are great sauce tomatoes, but they need a long growing season.

Tags
tomato