"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Thanks for the tomato tip. At 7000' the growing season is variable. Local farmers market growers use greenhouses and row covers to get produce to our market early and late. Mid June tomatoes have a long line and waiting list and we'll pay ANYTHING for a fresh tomato. Early September is when Romas appear and everyone is picking fast before first frost and tomatoes go down to $1 a box. I did my final batch last year in early October. Warm fall.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a greenhouse as well. We generally get our heirloom tomatoes in the 3rd weekend in May (or shortly thereafter). Even though they've been in the greenhouse and we've hardened them off, they still suffer transplant shock. We start harvesting the heirloom varieties mid-August until frost (which is almost ALWAYS by the 21st of September). We've used row covers, but a lot of it depends on the amount of sun and rain in July...2008 and 2009 were horrible for tomatoes--too much rain, not enough sun. 2007 was great--we were giving tomatoes away by the wheel barrelful. Last year was better, and we're hoping this year will be back to what we're used to...I've already promised TaxLady veggies <g>.

You can make "mini greenhouses" using 2 qt pop bottles...

Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I believe the tomato press can also be used for apples. I can't remember if it can be used for anything else--but I do remember that it can handle other things besides tomatoes. I use mine for tomatoes.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #34
Senior Cook

It has helped me as well. I plan to buy a Lee tomato press made in Italy. Will report on results when I start canning tomatoes.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Seeds for San Maranzo sauce tomatoes (mentioned by CWS4322 above) are sold by www.growitalian.com They have three kinds and look possible for my climate.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I am told that freezing and then thawing facilitates skin removal. Throw your tomatoes, as they ripen, into the freezer and when you have the time or inclination to process, thaw them out. You can just pick the skins from them and drain most of the excess moisture by straining, before you begin the cooking process.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #37
Executive Chef

I have a Champion Juicer. It makes a great thick juice that I use for smoother sauces. Just chop them up big enough to fit in the feeder hole and you have a nice strained product. I have freezed it in yogurt containers
Old 04-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNODDING View Post
I am told that freezing and then thawing facilitates skin removal. Throw your tomatoes, as they ripen, into the freezer and when you have the time or inclination to process, thaw them out. You can just pick the skins from them and drain most of the excess moisture by straining, before you begin the cooking process.
Welcome to DC

Josie
Old 04-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I have a Champion Juicer. It makes a great thick juice that I use for smoother sauces. Just chop them up big enough to fit in the feeder hole and you have a nice strained product. I have freezed it in yogurt containers

Rock I also use my Champion Juicer for tomatoes. I also juice hot peppers to make hot sauce. Champion makes short work of both.

Josie
Old 11-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #40
Head Chef

Like the Lee press , but it is stainless steel, also made in Italy.

Tags
tomato