Removing tomato skins - best device?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

web-collage

Senior Cook
Every summer I can lots of pints of tomato sauce - enough to last through the winter. I pressure can because water bath canning isn't safe at 7000' I remove tomato skins by dumping tomatoes into boiling water, then into a bowl in the sink and removing skins and coring with paring knife. It's very tedious, lots of time on my feet.

Several companies make a device that is supposed to remove skins and seeds to produce tomato pulp. The reviews on new ones are very bad. Does anyone have a favorite that is solid and will do the job and (hopefully) is not made in China?

Sorry, I use a paring knife like you do. I have a really old one whose blade is pretty short now, but its perfect for skinning tomatoes.

We use your method of hot water..into room temp water. The peel just slips off...very fast when you have large quantities....Do you have any links to the companies that make the device you describe???

The tool of choice for tomato skin and seed removal is the food mill. They've been around for quite a long time. It's probably the best choice if you are doing volumes of tomatoes.

I did a search on Amazon and turned up the Vittorio strainer (model 250). Many dissapointed customers who had the older model (200) and found the new model flimsy and difficult. There are some other brands but none that sound very strong. I have tried mushing the tomatoes in my food processor but that isn't very satisfactory.

What we use is kinda, sorta like the Vittorio....It's old but does a good job...Still we heat, core, and 1/2 or 1/4 before running them through..

Have Fun!

Never seen one work either....I see now it's kinda like my Grandmother's old chinois.

The thing (not the same brand) we use works like THIS..Juice and pulp go into a bowl...The skin, seeds etc are dispelled out of the end of the strainer. ~~~ Either will accomplish what the OP wants to accomplish.

From reviews of new food mills, it seems the older ones were better designed and better made. Reading reviews of the new Oxo, there were lots of complaints about both and also that it was too small and took 20 or 30 minutes to process a small amount. I'm hoping there is SOME model out there that can be purchased new and do a really good job. Otherwise it's back to boiling water and the paring knife.

From reviews of new food mills, it seems the older ones were better designed and better made. Reading reviews of the new Oxo, there were lots of complaints about both and also that it was too small and took 20 or 30 minutes to process a small amount. I'm hoping there is SOME model out there that can be purchased new and do a really good job. Otherwise it's back to boiling water and the paring knife.

I wasn't promoting the OXO, just used it as an example of the tool I was suggesting. The OXO looks small. I believe there are quality mills with interchangeable plates that would do the job.

Keep in mind it may not be super fast but it's faster than blanching and hand peeling.

yep, a food mill would be the best weapon of choice. removing skins and pulp is spot on what they do. I've never used one just because I don't work with tomatoes enough to need it. I do all my removing by hand.

I can tomato (pizza) sauce and I use a blender. Put the whole tomato in the blender, seeds, skin and all, as well as the other vegetables I add to make the sauce.

I do use a procedure though. Put 1/4 inch of water in a 6 gallon kettle, core and quarter the tomatoes into the pot, cover and cook until the top layer of tomatoes are soft, about one hour. Do not poke, stir or disturb. Scoop out softened tomatoes into a china hat or colandar, let tomato water drain off, and then dump the tomato innards into the blender. Add onions and other vegetables in with the tomatoes. Return the pureed tomato stuff to another pot and heat to boiling. It is ready to can. This method really saves time because you are not trying to reduce the sauce by cooking. The water is mechanically removed and the sauce is ready to can a few hours after you start.

I have used that method, Beth! I thought I invented it! :chef: Sure is easier than blup-blup-blupping that sauce to thicken it. Much easier cleanup.

Now I cut all the veggies (tomatoes, green peppers, onions, garlic) up and roast them for an hour, then use the processor or stick blender. I don't peel anything but the onions and garlic. I do cut the stems out of the peppers and shake the seeds out.

Back
Top Bottom