Reusing vinegar pickle brine.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
2 weeks ago I made some decent vinager pickles using a hot vinager brine can I just reboil it to make another batch?

I'm with Alix. Not a cool idea. All the ingredients are inexpensive enough to trash the leftovers and begin again. Too much avenue for icky bugs and other nasty critters to make your life unhappy. Get rid of it and begin again.

The problem ive had in the past was that it loses some of its potency because of the water coming out of the cucumbers. In addition, over time it gets a little "thicker", almost gummy like an okra affect. With that said, I usually just start all over again. Although, sometimes ill slice the cucumber into thing slices, toss them in the brine, and they pickle overnight.

Its not just about the bugs or the consistency. You are causing cucumbers to change to pickles so there is a chemical reaction going on there. Its a fermentation of sorts. You wouldn't try to reuse something like yeast (not that you could) because it wouldn't work well...same deal with the brine.

Back
Top Bottom