Room temperature hot dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

healthyMan

Assistant Cook
I accidentally left my uncooked hot dogs,
opened out of the plastic package, and placed into a sealed container,
at room temperature for 6 hours before I realized that I forgot to put them in the fridge.

I understand that the rule of thumb is that perishable food shouldn't be left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.

But since these are uncooked hot dogs, I'm going to have to heat them up anyway - so I'm assuming whatever bacteria grew during those 6 hours at room temperature, would be killed during the heating (I'll microwave all 6 of them at high for 2 minutes, or boil them till they split).

I also really don't want to get food poisoning though - especially at this time of the year.

What are your thoughts ?

Hot dogs are inexpensive. After 6 hours... I'd dump them. Even reheating, especially in a microwave, won't necessarily do the trick. Besides, killing the bacteria isn't all you have to worry about. Certain bacteria excrete toxins that heat won't make safe for consumption. You may kill the bacteria, but their toxins remain.

Dump the dogs.

In summer time it might be hot. I would be very cautios to eat them or feed to some body. Though I have eaten them after a whole day on the counter too.

i'd put them in the garbage- food borne illness is kinda costly compared to those franks.

My kitchen is not air-conditioned. In the summer I'd toss 'em. In the winter, they'd probably be not much warmer than the inside of my fridge! And most of them are so full of preservatives anyway. So I'd keep them if it was winter. But you know your house best. Hot dogs aren't that expensive anyway, why take chances?

Back
Top Bottom