Salsa - what is the one ingredient that

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Homegrown tomatoes, sweet peppers as well as hot, and El Patio tomato sauce. It comes in small yellow cans, and is delicious, but very potent. Be careful...add a little at a time. Depending on how much salsa you are making, you may only need one quarter of a can, but the stuff lasts a long time in the fridge.

Once I got in a little too much of the El Patio, so I added a can of good whole kernel corn, and everyone loved it!

I don't know anything about canning.

My one ingredient is cilantro. Lime is there 2. Mango have to think about that Vera, care to share that recipie?

Hiya!

I use 4 beautiful mangoes, diced. To that I add finely diced red onion, green onion, jalapenos, fresh cilantro, lime juice, cumin and black pepper. I use about a quarter cup of the red onions, 1/8 cup of the green. Everything else is to taste.

I originally simply added mangoes to my regular tomato salsa, or pico de gallo. I like the flavour better is I keep the mangoes seperate from the tomato, so now I make two different types.

I think cilantro and lime are key to any good salsa. I had a friend that made blueberry salsa this summer. Basic salsa only blueberries in place of tomatoes.

The salsa was part of a red, white and blue happy hour theme. She served it with the multi colored tortilla chips.

So is lime juice acidic enough to preserve the salsa? All the recipes I have collected from friends and relatives call for lemon juice, but I prefer the flavor of lime. Can I substitute? Is there some reason they all use lemon?

Secret ingredient- watermelon.

It's more of a pico recipe than your average salsa recipe- but it's pretty much just watermelon, red onion, cilantro, lime, bottled hot banana pepper, a little mint, S+P.

It's a great summer salsa because the watermelon just oozes freshness, and the flavor is light and sweet, which goes great with the hot peppers. Packs a lot of flavor, but its easy and refreshing to eat on a hot summer day.

So is lime juice acidic enough to preserve the salsa? All the recipes I have collected from friends and relatives call for lemon juice, but I prefer the flavor of lime. Can I substitute? Is there some reason they all use lemon?
Bottled Lime juice "might" be as acidic as bottled Lemon Juice. It's not for preserving but to make the acidic enough that the Botulism toxin won't breed when it is preserved through a Boiling Water Canning process.

And it must be bottled juice since the acidity is known. It cannot be verified with fresh citrus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom