Sauerkraut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crusty61

Assistant Cook
In the world of wonderful cooks out there, does any-one have a recipe for sauerkraut?????Trying to find a stone-ware crock is becoming harder also, any ideas for a substitute would be gratefully recieved. cheers crusty61

Actually, finding the crock is easier than you think, but probably more expensive than you'd want. Look to antique stores! The number embossed or stamped on the side or bottom is the amount of gallons they will hold. The DIFFICULT thing is finding a top for them.

Here's what Google turns up for sauerkraut recipe search. I suggest you read them through and find something to suit your skill level and tastes.

Ciao,

As a lover of saurekraut I have a simple recipe that I use.

Go to the supermarket
Buy a jar of Claussen' Saurekraut in the refrigerator section.
Take it home and eat it.
Done.

Perfect every time and it's always soooo good.

Are you looking for the Saurekraut recipe or a recipe that is using Saurekraut? One of this days I will learn English.

Crusty61-
To make kraut, you might try using a food grade plastic 5 gallon bucket with lid.
Some restaurants will have these left over (although some may not want to part with them). In that case you might try looking for a shop that specializes in home brewing (beer) supplies. If you call ahead, make sure the ones they have on hand are NOT ones with a hole in the bucket's side. They often have both kinds, but the hole in the bucket, obviously, is not good for kraut.
As for buying crocks at antiques shops, good luck. The prices may be very high for those crocks without chips or cracks. If you do find one, be careful to sterilise it as you don't really know what people have been storing in it.
Good luck with the kraut making. It sounds like fun!!! I have been pondering trying to make kraut this year, but will wait for the weather to cool and the prices of cabbage to be at their lowest since I am not growing any. My garden is full of heirloom tomatoes! Very soon I will be knee deep in sauce! But- oh, so good!

Oh, and, Thumpershere2? That reuben casserole recipe looks great. I will try to make that as soon as the weather is not scorching. Cooler days make me hungry for kraut! :)
~mouse

Last edited:
I'm with mouse ....

In the olden days you would have used a crock (ceramic glazed pottery), then after the invention of Pyrex you could have gotten a 5-gal Pyrex "crock" - but both are rare and expensive these days. These days - a 5-gal FOOD GRADE plastic bucket will work just fine for making kraut.

If you lived in the States I could point you to a Restaurant Supply shop - but since you "live in Tasmania south of Hobart" - according to your Introduction post - I'm at a loss as to where to suggest you begin looking for the food-grade plastic buckets.

Last edited:
hehehe, now I see, ya want to know how to make kraut. I really miss understood that one. Must of got up to early here. Just google and you will find what you are looking for on making kraut. I tried making it a couple years back and the whole batch spoiled. I was told I had to much green on the cabbage so trim it really good. and also don't touch the cabbage with bare hands. Wear the tight fitting rubber gloves when packing the cabbage into your crock. I wish you luck on your adventure making kraut.

I am lucky to have inherited several different sizes of stoneware crocks (with lids) from my aunt. I have made both Kim Chi and kraut in them. I f you are making a small batch any enameled, glass or fired casserole or pot will work. My aunt used to put kraut outside covered when it was about 80 degrees F and her's took about 1 1/2 weeks. I don't jnow how safe this is but we never got sick.

Hey! thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions, I am really in a pickle now, (pun Intended) Now I have to watch my cabbages grow fast enough to try some of the recipes I have found, will keep you all posted. Mouse you make my mouth water with your tomatoes, I have to wait till our spring.
cheers crusty 61.

Live ,Love, Laugh lots and forget the rest.qoute

Back
Top Bottom