Sauerkraut recipe to share with you - your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abby

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe an old 95 YO woman gave me & I wanted to see what you thought about it. You make a brine from 1 cup sugar, 1 cup canning salt, 1 cup white vinegar, 1 gal distilled or unchlorinated water. Pack chopped cabbage in jars & cover with brine. Remove air bubbles & wait 2 weeks for it to be kraut. I can't imagine it would taste like kraut but I may try a small batch. I do like to experiment but lately my experiments haven't turn out very well. What do you think about this recipe? Thanks.

Might work. $64 question is how to keep cabbage submersed if you try 1/4 of the recipe equally divided between 2 one quart jars. Would seem the jars would need to be left uncovered to allow gassing from fermentation to escape. We use a similar recipe to pickle cauliflour but use a 50-50 water-vinegar solution, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup salt and simmer the whole thing for 15 minutes before putting in jars. Unlike sauerkraut, ours finished product is kept refrigerated and does not ferment.

Thanks for reply. If I try it I will probably put it in a small crock instead of jars & cover as usual.

Back
Top Bottom