Saving half an apple?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
As I continue to diet/plan to diet I have become very aware that many of the nutrition books "4 ounce" apples or whatever size fruit - do not exist in the real world. Sometimes the apples that I buy are almost twice the weight of one serving, i.e. two servings. Does anyone have any suggestions for storing half a piece of fruit - or veggie for one day and still be able to eat it? I choose apples as an example because the apple starts to go brown when the skin is cut.

When I was on my diet, I cut up the portions of fruit for the week and vac packed them.

Blend in a blender, half an apple, a banana, and 1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk), add cinnamon, sugar or honey if desired. Portion into 4 - 4 oz containers and freeze. Now you have some small smoothies.

Before I had my FoodSaver I would put stuff in a regular plastic baggy and suck the air out before sealing. Most grocery stores now carry a little device in the wrap/baggy section that will remove the air for you from their brand of bags. You could also sprinkle lemon juice on it before storing. Half of an avocado stay pretty well if you leave the pit in.

Back
Top Bottom