"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 04-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Head Chef

I take the rings off after the jars seal, because sometimes liquid escapes, and I like to wash the jars before I put them in the cupboard. Leaving the rings on may cause the rings to rust, as well, making them hard to use again.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I take the rings off after the jars seal, because sometimes liquid escapes, and I like to wash the jars before I put them in the cupboard. Leaving the rings on may cause the rings to rust, as well, making them hard to use again.
Me too!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #13
Cook

I have been taking the rings off after the jars have cooled for 24 hours. Than I have been replacing them.

Now if I wanted to stack the jars should I put the rings back on real loose so the jarsdont sit on the lid? I've been putting thejars back in the boxes with the rings loose on the jars and stacking them 2 high.

Or should I not stack at all?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
Head Chef

Stacking is fine, but it is recommended that you use cardboard or similar as a separator to spread the weight. It is up to you whether you leave the second piece lid on loose or not, but they are necessary or needed.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:59 AM   #15
Cook

Just got done canning a batch of beef and I adjusted the head space to 1 1/4" along with making sure the air bubbles were removed. Also adjusted the rings a bit snugger.

Everything sealed and their was WAY les liquid coming out of the jars. I think only 2 or 3 lad a little come out.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #16
Head Chef

Be careful not to have those lids too snug. They should only be finger tight, just enough to hold the flat in place.

Keep in mind also that there are other issues that can cause fluid loss, one being rapid temperature change. If there is a draft in the kitchen at the time the canner lid is removed and a jar is exposed to it, there could be a purge. The NCHFP requests that there be a delay before the lid is removed so that some of the potential for strong temperature exposures are reduced.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

A little liquid loss is normal. I always screw them until they grab a bit since the hot water will cause the metal ring to expand and loosen slightly. Once the lids have popped and the bottles are cool I remove the rings. I keep them on a wire coat hanger that I've twisted so I can open and close it since that holds a lot more than a drawer does. :)

~J
Old 04-15-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
Cook

Yeah the bands were pretty much finget tight. I didn't snug them down at all. I also paid a LOT more attention to getting the air bubles out of the meat and to head space. I think on my previous batch I was sitting at about 3/4" head space. Lot quite a bit of liquid. This batch turned out a LOT better. Their was more liquid in the jars and minimal juice leaking out of the jar.

I need to find a good recipie for apple pie filling. I am getting ready to plant some trees on the property and I want a couple apple trees. Need to figgure our what kinda trees would be best for making pies, apple sauce, apple bitter, etc, etc.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
Head Chef

The Ball Blue Book of Preserving has good recipes, but these are for freezing, not canning, since that is the preferred way of preserving that product.

If you are interested in making pies, you may also want to investigate ClearJelŽ and Instant ClearJelŽ for superior results, instead of using conventional thickeners like flour, cornstarch, tapioca or arrowroot.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaSBrown View Post
I keep them on a wire coat hanger that I've twisted so I can open and close it since that holds a lot more than a drawer does. :)

~J
Great idea!