Screwing the band on Jars before going into pressure Canner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom and grandma use to use some Arrowroot in a stir fry they made. Made the sauce look like snot, lol.

I have been interested in doing quite a few things with cooking. I am so upset that I still havn't found the box with my cook books yet. I want to try an apple pie but can't find the books. Think I am going through withdraws. Ohhh wait I can call my grandma and get a recipie. Thats what grandmas are for, lol.

I tried to pressure can chili and even though I had an inch of space I had the cookover occure. I haven't given up, I just figured on allowing more space next time.

Sound good?

Not if the cause of the purging is causes by something "other" than the headspace. Going more than the 1" headspace could allow air to remain in the jar and cause more problems than just the purging.

Purging can be caused by the lids placed on too tight. They must be only finger-tight so that internal pressure can lift the flat and purge out the air. If too tight pressure will build in the jar until it does release and can sometimes be an explosive purge, pushing out much of the contents. Jars have been known to explode if they cannot properly purge.

A sudden temperature change can cause a purge to occur. You should never have a fan or air blowing across or near the canner. The most common is removing the lid too soon. Recommended times must be followed for each step. There is a reason.

I wasn't a purge, it was definitely a cookover. I had the lids hand tight and then backed off a bit (I am a large man who doesn't know his own strength) I made sure I could "wiggle" the lid.

Also, I am in the habit of not opening until it has brought itself down to room pressure itself. Mostly because I am afraid I will release pressure and the contents of the jars will still be at boiling temp and cook over.

"Finger-tight" is when you feel a slight resistance. If you are backing off from that where you can "wiggle" the lid, it is too loose and could cause similar or other problems.

Pressure canners must be allowed to come back to room pressure naturally -pressure is zero in the canner -- and should never be rushed like it is often doNE with a pressure 'cooker', but the internal temperature is still super hot (above the boiling point) so the authorities have made one change to what is printed in most Ball Blue Books and that is to wait 15 minutes after the pressure regulator is removed and BEFORE the lid is unlocked and removed, to allow some of that heat to dissipate that might cause a catastrophic purge when hit with the room temperature. Even then you have to keep the jars away from drafts when they are moved to the counter for cooling off since the contents may be seen still boiling inside.

Despite all the little details that takes us awhile to get comfortable with, it is nothing to be scared about. A little nervousness is normal, but keep the smile on your face and all that good food you are preserving. :chef:

Pressure canners must be allowed to come back to room pressure naturally -pressure is zero in the canner -- and should never be rushed like it is often doNE with a pressure 'cooker',

That is how I do it.

I am a huge fan of pressure cookers and canners. No fear here.

This last time with the Smoked Hock/cabbage soup I just walked away from it after turning it off after the hour and did yard work. I pretty much came back to it an hour or so later. The canning of the soup was successful.

That is really what I want to can, soups, chilis, tomato meat sauce... A lot of my recipes take more than 24 hours to make and I want to stock up some shortcuts. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom