Screwing the band on Jars before going into pressure Canner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MNTaxi

Cook
How tight do you screw the bands down on the lids befor putting them in the pressure canner? Do you tighten them down or leave them semi loose? None of my canning books specify and I have heard it both ways.

You do not want to tighten them too much. The band is just there to keep the lip in place, not to seal it. If you tighten it too much then it possibly will not seal correctly. Just tighten enough until it grabs. No need to go any further.

Right.

The lid has to have enough room to move under the band to allow pressure to escape from the jar during the canning process. Then as the jars cool, the lid is sucked down and sealed by the vacuum in the jar. Once the jars are completely cooled, screw the band down until it is just snug. Not tight as a supermarket jar lid would be.

I believe that you will usually find the instructions say something like "snug but not too tight"

NCHFP said:
  • If rings are too loose, liquid may escape from jars during processing, and seals may fail.
  • If rings are too tight, air cannot vent during processing, and food will discolor during storage. Over tightening also may cause lids to buckle and jars to break, especially with raw-packed, pressure-processed food.

DO NOT tighten the bands after processing!!!! This can break the seal formed during processing!!!

NCHFP said:
Do not retighten lids after processing jars. As jars cool, the contents in the jar contract, pulling the self-sealing lid firmly against the jar to form a high vacuum.

This information comes from the National Center for Home Food Preservation (NCHFP), General Canning Information, Jars and Lids page.

Once the jars are completely cooled, screw the band down until it is just snug. Not tight as a supermarket jar lid would be.
Actually the screw band should be removed completely. It is no longer needed.

If left on it could interfere with the seal of the flat lid, especially if it was screwed down against it or something was stacked on top that caused uneven pressure.

Only put the lid back on (loosely) when passing the jar as a gift so that your recipient will be able to have a proper lid once it is opened.

OK, the reason I am asking is because when I canned the beef and tuna some of the liquid from nside of the jar escaped. Is that normal?

When I was shown how to tighten the band from the neighbor I thought he had them to loose. He basiclly screwed the ban and than stopped at the first sign of the ban touching the lid. If I wanted to I would be able to unscrew it with one finger.

My experience has been that I just screw the rings on until I feel the first real resistance, then I tighten a little more. And, yes, some of the contents of my jars have escaped during the canning process. However, once they were removed from the canner and cooled, they "popped" as required and I tightened the rings the remainder of the way. Never had any problems with spoilage or illness.

Yeah I havn't had a problem yet. Sounds like I have my bands just a tiny bit to lose. I think I will tighten them just a tiny bit more.

All my jars have popped as well except for the occational odd ball but we just eat that one right away.

OK, the reason I am asking is because when I canned the beef and tuna some of the liquid from nside of the jar escaped. Is that normal?

When I was shown how to tighten the band from the neighbor I thought he had them to loose. He basiclly screwed the ban and than stopped at the first sign of the ban touching the lid. If I wanted to I would be able to unscrew it with one finger.
Loss of liquid during processing has to do with the 'headspace' that is being purged, not how tight/loose the lids are. Sometimes with meats the headspace has to be an 1/8"-1/4" more than what the published recipe calls for because it seems to expand more during processing.

In fact, the National Center for Home Food Processing now recommends a headspace of 1-1/4" instead of 1" as published when canning chicken.

Loss of liquid does not effect the safety of the food though it is possible the seal may be compromised by food on the seal/rim so watch it closer for any indication of seal failure.

Note: A major loss of fluid in a jar usually is the result of a lid on too tight and the purging finally occurs in a big whoosh in the canner. The seal usually fails on such occurrences too.

Thanks mcnerd for explaining that to me. I was border line 1" headspace. I will make it 1 1/4" headspace tomarrow and try that.

The seal part is what concerned me. Thats why I asked if it was common for the liquid to come out. I fell a little better now.

I will try adjusting the head space first and seeing how that goes.

I take the rings off after the jars seal, because sometimes liquid escapes, and I like to wash the jars before I put them in the cupboard. Leaving the rings on may cause the rings to rust, as well, making them hard to use again.

I have been taking the rings off after the jars have cooled for 24 hours. Than I have been replacing them.

Now if I wanted to stack the jars should I put the rings back on real loose so the jarsdont sit on the lid? I've been putting thejars back in the boxes with the rings loose on the jars and stacking them 2 high.

Or should I not stack at all?

Stacking is fine, but it is recommended that you use cardboard or similar as a separator to spread the weight. It is up to you whether you leave the second piece lid on loose or not, but they are necessary or needed.

Just got done canning a batch of beef and I adjusted the head space to 1 1/4" along with making sure the air bubbles were removed. Also adjusted the rings a bit snugger.

Everything sealed and their was WAY les liquid coming out of the jars. I think only 2 or 3 lad a little come out.

Thanks for the replies!

Be careful not to have those lids too snug. They should only be finger tight, just enough to hold the flat in place.

Keep in mind also that there are other issues that can cause fluid loss, one being rapid temperature change. If there is a draft in the kitchen at the time the canner lid is removed and a jar is exposed to it, there could be a purge. The NCHFP requests that there be a delay before the lid is removed so that some of the potential for strong temperature exposures are reduced.

A little liquid loss is normal. I always screw them until they grab a bit since the hot water will cause the metal ring to expand and loosen slightly. Once the lids have popped and the bottles are cool I remove the rings. I keep them on a wire coat hanger that I've twisted so I can open and close it since that holds a lot more than a drawer does. :)

~J

Yeah the bands were pretty much finget tight. I didn't snug them down at all. I also paid a LOT more attention to getting the air bubles out of the meat and to head space. I think on my previous batch I was sitting at about 3/4" head space. Lot quite a bit of liquid. This batch turned out a LOT better. Their was more liquid in the jars and minimal juice leaking out of the jar.

I need to find a good recipie for apple pie filling. I am getting ready to plant some trees on the property and I want a couple apple trees. Need to figgure our what kinda trees would be best for making pies, apple sauce, apple bitter, etc, etc.

The Ball Blue Book of Preserving has good recipes, but these are for freezing, not canning, since that is the preferred way of preserving that product.

If you are interested in making pies, you may also want to investigate ClearJel® and Instant ClearJel® for superior results, instead of using conventional thickeners like flour, cornstarch, tapioca or arrowroot.

Back
Top Bottom