Searching for pickle variations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
It's that time of year, got cukes by the dozen.
I love pickles and make quite a bit of them, but Im searching for a new twist on cucumber pickles.

I make basic garlic pickles, kosher dills, half sour- sour ...
I dont like sweet pickles.

I just tried a Korean pickle recipe ( still have a week to find out if I like them).

So any new twist on ( not sweet) pickles Id appreciate it.
My basic recipe is cukes, garlic, dill, salty brine and a mix of spices
( I often play around with the spices to get different taste. My usual go to's are coriander seed, mustard seed, celery seed, pepper corns, I also have a generic pickling spice which is a mix of the above and has some hot pepper and cinnamon in the mix as well).

Here are a couple Asian-inspired recipes. The first one is for green beans, but it would work fine with cucumbers.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/szechuan-beans-recipe.html

https://foodinjars.com/recipe/spicy-quick-pickled-cucumbers/

This isn't exactly a pickle, but it's a little different cucumber side dish I thought you might like:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/258377/smashed-cucumber-salad/

Thanks,
Im up to my elbows in cukes, and im always looking for something else to do with them.

What kind of vinegar do you use in your basic pickles? Changing up the vinegar changes the flavor a lot.

You can also make fruity or savory salsas with cucumbers. Mango, strawberries, melons and jicama all go well with them, then add yellow or red onion, jalapeños and cider vinegar or lime juice and fresh herbs.

Have you checked my pickle recipe?

I remember coming across it in the past
I dont think Ive tried it, although id love to.

If I remember correctly, didn't you post a pickle recipe that had a piece of bread in it ? and maybe another with lettuce ? if you can repost the recipe or just direct me to the link id appreciate it.

larry, I posted a version of my Dad's crock dill pickles recipe that had a slice of bread on top the pickles for the first day. They're a Polish dill, so they're a bit of a hybrid. They don't have enough vinegar to be canned, but they aren't a true fermented pickle made with just water and salt. I should go check my batch that is busy brewing in the basement while we're talking pickles. :ermm: Anyway, they take about a week in the basement (currently running 69-70 degrees), then I put them in jars and refrigerate. They're good right away, but we've found that the flavor mellows out as they sit in the fridge. Dad always made a couple gallons at a time, then stored them in a huge Tupperware bin in the basement refrigerator.

I suppose you could make half-sours from them if you take them out earlier than a week. I never think of it soon enough, but we like them better when they're fully cured anyway.

This was linked in a Mark Bittman newsletter I received this morning.
Mark Bittman - 9 Spice Blends You Can Make Yourself
The part that brought this thread to mind was:
9. Pickling Spice
Combine two 3*inch cinnamon sticks, 5 bay leaves, 2 tablespoons mustard seeds, 1 tablespoon each allspice berries, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, and dill seeds, 1 teaspoon each whole cloves and cardamom seeds, and 1 1 ⁄ 2 teaspoons red chile flakes. Makes about 1 ⁄ 2 cup.

larry, I hunted Charlie's pickle recipe down last night. Composed a nice post. Even made sure the link worked. Then...I must have only "previewed" the post but never hit the "submit" button. :LOL: Ah, the joys of late-night online activity.
Here ya go: 3 days pickles

Back
Top Bottom