Southern Chow Chow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

W5WPL

Assistant Cook
Greeting all.
I tried to make my Grandmothers east Texas sweet Chow Chow. Recipe called for 4 1/2 cups of vinegar. I used Apple cider vinegar. Smelled good. Tasted BAD. Drained most of the vinegar out and cooking it again in water and more sugar. Question is: Will it keep or is it now short term.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but without seeing the recipe it is hard to say if it would even be worth starting over. Many old recipes are really that safe to keep.

Sometimes you just have to try to save something before you get disgusted and quit. It gives you a little satisfaction to say, "At least I tried." It's kind of like a grieving ritual.:angel:

THEN you throw it out and start over.

I agree, but without seeing the recipe it is hard to say if it would even be worth starting over. Many old recipes are really that safe to keep.

I used two heads of cabbage, two onions, two green bell peppers, two red and one yellow bell pepper. 4 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar, 3 tables spoons pickling spices in a bag. 1 tea spoon mustard seed, 1 tea spoon dry mustard, 1 tea spoon ginger. 4 cups brown sugar.

After soaking 24 hours in water with 1 cup pickling salt. The liquid was not enough to cover the veg. So I added more vinegar to cover.

I would like to know your best way.
And if you have a good recipe for bread and butter jalapenos , I love to have it.
Thank You

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure how brown sugar and apple cider vinegar go together, I've never tried it, but there is usually a degree of water added with the vinegar, which seems to be missing. Here is a recipe that appears to be similar, but I don't know its source and whether or not it is a tested recipe or not.

Cabbage Chow Chow

3 large cabbage head, chopped
6 large onions, chopped
4 large bell peppers, (red & green) chopped
8 cups cider vinegar
6 cups water
3 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup canning salt

1. Mix all ingredients together, and bring to boil.
Ladle into hot pint, or quart jars. Seal with lids and rings.
Place into a hot water bath, and boil for 15 mins.

As for Bread & Butter Jalapenos, I've never seen one, but you should be able to substitute sliced Jalapenos for cucumbers in most pickling recipes. Here is an example recipe:

Bread & Butter Pickles (Traditional)

6 cups sliced, trimmed pickling cucumbers (1/4" slices)
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup Ball® Preserving & Pickling Salt
1 3/4 cup white vinegar
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 Tbs mustard seed
2/3 tsp celery seed
2/3 tsp ground turmeric
Ball® Pickle Crisp Granules

1. Read all instructions before starting. Assemble all supplies and measure all ingredients.

2. COMBINE cucumbers, onions and salt in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Mix well, cover with cold water and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Transfer to a colander placed over a sink, rinse with cool running water and drain thoroughly.

3. PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

4. COMBINE vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir in vegetables and return to a boil.

5. PACK vegetables into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch of top of jar. Add rounded 1/8 tsp Pickle Crisp® Granules. Ladle hot pickling liquid over vegetables, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and re-measure headspace. If needed, add more pickling liquid to meet recommended headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.

6. PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude*. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Tips
*Increase processing time 5 minutes for 1,001 to 3,000 ft; 10 minutes for 3,001 to 6,000 ft; 15 minutes for 6,001 to 8,000 ft; 20 minutes for 8,001 to 10,000 ft.

I'm not quite sure how brown sugar and apple cider vinegar go together, I've never tried it, but there is usually a degree of water added with the vinegar, which seems to be missing. Here is a recipe that appears to be similar, but I don't know its source and whether or not it is a tested recipe or not.

Cabbage Chow Chow

3 large cabbage head, chopped
6 large onions, chopped
4 large bell peppers, (red & green) chopped
8 cups cider vinegar
6 cups water
3 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup canning salt

1. Mix all ingredients together, and bring to boil.
Ladle into hot pint, or quart jars. Seal with lids and rings.
Place into a hot water bath, and boil for 15 mins.

Thank you.
With the water in the recipe, can they still be put up for months?

Back
Top Bottom