"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-21-2005, 06:42 AM   #11
Executive Chef

For the roasted tomato sauce, could I use the food processor since I don'thave a food mill? The recipe sounds delicious.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #12
Everymom

Ooooooo, marmalady, not sure how I missed that one, but it looks very good. Thanks.

Michael, brown sugar is actually better than white IMHO, it imparts a richness to the flavour of the sauce that you don't get with white sugar. That is just my own taste buds of course.

Claire, thanks for posting that. I think I will try that too. I never thought of doing it in little batches like that. That will certainly work with the way the tomatoes are coming.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:20 AM   #13
Master Chef

Licia, you really need a food mill, as it separates the seeds and peelings from the pulp. I use the one on my Kitchen Aide now, but for years I used a fine colandar with a wooden mallet to force the tomatoes through. That builds up the shoulder muscles real fast by the time you get through a bushel of tomatoes. (Back then, I planted 100 Roma plants every year.)
Old 08-21-2005, 10:12 PM   #14
Master Chef

Alix - you've got me curious now. I'm wondering if the brown sugar just might indeed impart a flavor component similar to the flavors developed in browning/caramalizing the onions and carrots first? Humm ... if so, that little trick would allow me to just sweat the vegs and then make up the flavor with the brown sugar - and save me about 15-20 minutes! I'll definately have to try this the next pot-o-sauce I make.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:28 AM   #15
Master Chef

This site is sooooo cool. As much as I know, every time I log in, I learn something new, or get a new idea, or get inspired to experiment with something.

It is truly a world where, the higher you climb on the mountain of knowledge, the more you see how much there still is to learn.

And from the looks of things, if the mountain is a mile high, then I'm about a city block up the slope.

Great ideas about making tomato sauce here. I've always used canned tomatoes for mine, as I don't really have the time at this point in my life for canning in quantity. But there will be a day... And this knowledge is tucked away, in the back of my brain for future use.

And I love the interaction, and watching little lights illuminate a one phrase or notion by someone, creates an epiphany in someone else. That's what this place is all about.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:09 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I've used brown sugar like Alix, and she's right - there's just a subtle undercurrent of flavor there that you don't get with white sugar.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Absolooodle. ;)
Old 08-22-2005, 07:58 AM   #18
Master Chef

The food mill removes some (not all) of the tomato skin .... but, hey, I'm up for trying it. If my tomatoes continue to produce the way they are now, I'll try it and let you know. I use the food mill to get rid of the skin of the tomato, the garlic skin, and such. Actually a strainer and the bottom of a cup or big spoon would have the same effect. I grew up with peeling, then seeding, then stewing tomatoes. This cuts out a couple of steps.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 AM   #19
Head Chef

I made fresh spaghetti sauce this weekend and I used fresh tomatos. I use the hot water to get the skin off the tomato and then I just leave the seeds. I also add a little brown sugar as it gives the sauce a great flavor.Never even notice the seeds when eating the sauce.Removing seeds is to much work for me.I even leave them in for my tomato juice.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:29 AM   #20
Master Chef

Roma tomatoes are so meaty, it's easy to get the seeds out..
I just slice them in half and pull the seeds out with my fingers.

When I run the tomatoes through the mill, I run the waste through 2 more times to get all the goodie out...you'd be surprised at the additional thickness and flavor you get out of those skins.