Spaghetti sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with Michael, I prefer the minced carrots to celery, it gives a mild taste that will balance out the tanginess of the tomatoes.

I also add roasted garlic, 1 bayleaf and dash of red wine in my sugo, each of them really enhances the flavour to make it a little extraordinary!!
Licia:chef:

I caramelize onion, carrot and tomato paste in oil before adding the other ingredients. This combines to 'sweeten' the sauce without the added sugar. I have tasted some sauces that are actually sweet. I prefer to just balance the tartness of the tomato a bit.

I can about 40 qts of tomatos and make sauce with the canned tomatos but I never remove the seeds and the sauce turns out great and we don't even know the seeds are there and can't see them either. When making sauce from my canned tomatos I always add a pinch of white or brown susgar. It takes the acidity taste out. Since I have way to many tomatos this year I will be making sauce and canning it.A quart jar of sauce makes a great gift too.

amcardon said:
My parents just gave my wife and I like 15lbs of romas, I'm gonna have to try this sauce!

Oh you are so LUCKY! Save some and make salsa too. Romas make the best salsa IMO. Want me to post my recipe for you?

Alix said:
Oh you are so LUCKY! Save some and make salsa too. Romas make the best salsa IMO. Want me to post my recipe for you?

I would love your recipe! I'm always looking for new salsa recipes. I used to live in Mexico and I prefer salsa de molcajete but I love trying out somebody else's recipes... I usually grind a couple charred romas and a couple charred jalapenos, add some kosher salt, grind in some onion or garlic, whichever I'm in the mood for... It makes a very runny salsa but it tastes soooo good!

OK, mine is one that you can so it has more specific proportions of stuff. I'll go find it.

I've never tried canning, but coming across this recipe led me to this thread to find out more. All the ideas sound so good, I'll have to do some research here (sterilizing bottles, etc.). Giving gifts of homemade tomato sauce is way better than a sweater any day. Here's the recipe. See what you think.

TOMATO SAUCE WITH BASIL FOR CANNING
Salsa di pomodoro e basilico di Maria

"This is the way our friend Maria puts up tomatoes every year. To prove her method is infallible, she brought us bottles labeled as far back as 1972. Bottles over ten years old were still good. To store this sauce she uses any small bottles and sterilizes them. Only top-quality, ripe tomatoes should be used for this recipe. Plum tomatoes are the best."

7 lbs tomatoes
1 T coarse salt
1 cup fresh basil leaves, plus additional leaves for the bottles

Wash and dry the tomatoes, then slice in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and juice, reserving them for use in soups, stews, etc.

Place the tomatoes in a large stockpot. Add the coarse salt and the cup of fresh basil leaves. Bring to a boil, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Press the mixture through a food mill into a large basin and mix well.

Fill washed and sterilized bottles with the tomato puree, leaving a 2-inch gap at the top of each. Insert a basil leaf into each bottle. Cap the bottles with plastic-lined caps. (Do not use cork-lined bottle tops.)

*Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and place a cloth over it. Wrap each bottle in newspaper and stand in the pot with water to cover. Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes. Let the bottles cool in the water in the covered pot. When cool, unwrap and store in a cool, dark place.

Source:
Italian Cooking in the Grand Tradition
Jo Bettoja and Anna Maria Cornetto

*I'm not clear on the directions here. Perhaps it would make more sense to me if I was experienced with canning. Noticed it doesn't mention how many jars or # yield. Also wondering if I can add garlic?

OK, canning basics.

1. You need to have a certain amount of acidity to resist bacterial growth. Tomatoes are nicely acidic so that is likely why this recipe works without any other stuff.

2. Yes you could add garlic.

If I were going to do this, I would grab a bunch of canning jars with the regular sealer lids and rings.

First, sterilize the jars and lids in either a sanitizing cycle on your dishwasher (not all models have this) or boil them for about 3 minutes. You want them to still be hotish when you fill them, so time this accordingly.

Fill the jars with HOT tomato sauce and then wipe around the tops to make sure of a clean seal.

Put on the lids and tighten just finger tight. Leave the jars out for a while. You will hear little popping noises throughout the day as the jars seal themselves nice and tight.

Then to make them giftable, take squares of festive fabric and put them over the lids and tie them on with pretty ribbon. Make a nice label for the front and you are good to go.

Thanks for this recipe mish. It looks nice and simple and is clearly TNT. I may give this a go either this weekend or next.

Thank you, Thank you Alix. I thought the process might be complicated, but you may have inspired me to give it a go. The wrapping in newspaper thing in water, still has me puzzled. I don't have a santizer? cycle on the dishwasher, would really hot water do? Could I boil water in a Dutch oven & plunk the jars in there?

Having "homemade" tomato sauce (that will last for years) to have on hand & to give as gifts is such a practical & special idea. A little recipe card attached for a favorite pasta recipe, I think would make an extra special gift. I would like to make a pasta gift basket...add some pasta, homemade sauce, bottle of wine, mozzarella, loaf of french bread, etc.

mish said:
Thank you, Thank you Alix. I thought the process might be complicated, but you may have inspired me to give it a go. The wrapping in newspaper thing in water, still has me puzzled. I don't have a santizer? cycle on the dishwasher, would really hot water do? Could I boil water in a Dutch oven & plunk the jars in there?

Yes mish, that would do. Make sure the jars and lids are covered by boiling water and you boil them for a few minutes. Take the jars out with tongs and place them on a tea towel or something to dry while you get the tomato sauce ready. Leave the lids in a pot, but drain the water out. That way you don't risk contaminating them by touching them. Ignore the newspaper crap. It is just that...crap.

mish said:
Having "homemade" tomato sauce (that will last for years) to have on hand & to give as gifts is such a practical & special idea. A little recipe card attached for a favorite pasta recipe, I think would make an extra special gift. I would like to make a pasta gift basket...add some pasta, homemade sauce, bottle of wine, mozzarella, loaf of french bread, etc.

Are you putting ME on your Christmas list? I'd LOVE that kind of gift! :LOL:

Appreciate your advice, Alix. :) I'm saving all this info. Let's see if I get brave enough to try it. (Hope it doesn't turn out to be the I Love Lucy episode - Lucy makes Aunt Martha's Salad Dressing.)

Alix said:
Are you putting ME on your Christmas list? I'd LOVE that kind of gift! :LOL:

Me too. I may give myself a gift too. You're on the list :) (You won't be mad if I soak off the Ragu label & replace it with my own, will you :ROFLMAO:.)

mish said:
Appreciate your advice, Alix.

Anytime mish. It really is pretty easy. Once you try it you will wonder what was so intimidating about it. Its no biggie AT ALL! Way easier than baking a cheesecake or souffle IMO.

mish said:
Me too. I may give myself a gift too. You're on the list :) (You won't be mad if I soak off the Ragu label & replace it with my own, will you :ROFLMAO:.)

*sigh*

This thread is so interesting, it is coming up to tomato season here so I will go to the markets and get a box to make sauce. My only worry like everyone esle is the jars, what exactly do the lids look like? Where would I buy them?

The reason for wrapping the jars in newspaper is to keep them from breaking...note that Maria used whatever jars she had on hand, not regular canning jars.
My Grandma White did her canning outdoors in big copper kettles over a wood fire. She put straw in the bottom of the kettles to keep the jars from breaking.
Personally, I'd go with regular canning jars and the more modern canning process.
Mish, before I had a dishwasher, I boiled my jars in a big pot on top of the stove...it works just fine.

In the US canning jars are available in grocery stores as well as places like Wal-Mart or othre big general merchandise discount department stores and at some hardware stores. If the jars are not chipped or cracked, they may reused many times. The sealing component of the lid may not be reused, but the screw-on ring, which keeps the actual lid on during the canning process may be reused if in good condition. Replacement sealing lids are found near the jars. Follow the directions that come with the lids because while you can boil the jars and the screw-on rings, some lids can only be washed in hot soapy water and put in very hot water to rinse because boiling will damage the sealing gasket on the lid. Also there are several sizes and types of jars. Ball is a company the makes canning equipment and that website may be very helpful for you. Good Luck.

Constance said:
The reason for wrapping the jars in newspaper is to keep them from breaking...note that Maria used whatever jars she had on hand, not regular canning jars.
My Grandma White did her canning outdoors in big copper kettles over a wood fire. She put straw in the bottom of the kettles to keep the jars from breaking.
Personally, I'd go with regular canning jars and the more modern canning process.
Mish, before I had a dishwasher, I boiled my jars in a big pot on top of the stove...it works just fine.

I stand corrected Constance. Thanks for the correct info!

Back
Top Bottom