"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 08-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
Everymom

Spaghetti sauce

I found one for Spaghetti sauce that looks like it might be good. Anyone have a few extra pounds of tomatoes to get rid of?

Pasta Sauce

3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
20 pounds tomatoes
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons parsley
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Bottled lemon juice

Prepare Ball® or Kerr® jars and closures according to instructions found in Canning Basics.

Cook onion, celery and garlic in olive oil, in a large saucepot, until transparent. Core and quarter tomatoes. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients to saucepot. Simmer mixture about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Put tomato mixture through a food mill or sieve to remove seeds and peel. Return purée to saucepot and cook, uncovered, over medium-high heat until sauce thickens. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Add 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice to each pint jar. Carefully ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rim and threads of jar with a clean damp cloth. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass. Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met-fingertip tight.

Process 35 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Yield: about 6 pints.

For altitude adjustment increase processing as indicated below:
1,001-- 3,000 ft.....5 minutes
3,001-- 6,000 ft...10 minutes
6,001-- 8,000 ft...15 minutes
8,001- 10,000 ft...20 minutes

Old 08-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #2
Sous Chef

This recipe looks as though it would make a really tasty sauce! I saw in a previous post that several cooks here would never add sugar to a tomato sauce, but I don't mind. I think the brown sugar gives it a nice flavour, especially if only "just enough" is used. I would like to try this. I've never prepared jars for preserving and am nervous about that.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Looks good, Alix - only I'd lose the celery, and add lots of fresh basil at the end of the cooking time!

I've done sp. sauce like this from 'scratch', then canned it - hubbie said it looked like there had been a murder in the kitchen!
Old 08-20-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
Everymom

LOL! I likely will get rid of the celery as my DH loathes the stuff. I have tons of basil so I think I will do THAT too. Thanks for the idea marmalady.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #5
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyj
I've never prepared jars for preserving and am nervous about that.
Its really not a big deal. You just have to boil the jars and lids, then keep them hot (I leave mine on a cookie sheet in the oven) until you fill them. Give it a shot, I bet you will be great!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
Master Chef

Tell you what, Alix, this roasted tomato sauce I've been making is killer, and all you have to do is freeze it in ziplock bags. I put the recipe here someplace, but all you do is half and seed Roma tomatoes and lay them out on a foil-lined baking sheet cut side up, cover with chopped onions, diced garlic, S&P and herbs of your choice. Sprinkle with olive oil and roast them at around 250 degrees more or less for about 4 hours. Put through a food mill, and it's ready to use or freeze.
I used to love to can...but time and age change all things.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #7
Everymom

I'd definitely do that for myself Constance, but I like to give canned stuff at Christmas. I put some of my own garden stuff in baskets and give it to my sisters. So they will get some sauce this year. Last year they got antipasto, and jam.

I think I saved your recipe for the roma tomato thing. I will have to look it up and try that. My tomatoes are going nuts right now.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:32 AM   #8
Master Chef

My simple tomato sauce for the freezer (and I'm making a couple of cups every couple of days):

a baking dish full of halved tomatoes, seeded
1/2 very large onion, or one small, sliced
1 head garlic
S&P
drizzle of olive oil

all gets baked at 350 for 90 min. I have an electric oven, which retains heat, so I leave the tray of vegs in there for another half hour

When it is cooled, i run it all through a food mill.

This sauce is quite savory, but has the option of turning it to any ethnic cuisine when you thaw it. It's also pretty thick, which is the biggest (to me) problem with freezing tomatoes -- that they get watery.
Freeze in 1-2 cup portions.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:41 AM   #9
Master Chef

Alix - the recipe looks good to me! But, FWIW, here's how XW3 (Brooklyn-Italian) did it ....

Replace the celery with grated then minced carrot. It totally melts away in a sauce simmered for 2 hours. As for the sugar ... I would again follow her lead and just use plain old everyday white sugar ... not sure if I would want the malaisas flavor from the brown sugar .... but I've never tried it so it might be okay.

Claire - roasting the tomatoes will remove a lot of moisture, make the puree thicker, and should solve the mushy/watery problem with freezing tomatoes.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:19 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Alix - my tomato basil jam is great for gift-giving - look here:

REC: Tomato basil jam - TNT!