Special Carrot Recipe(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brokenbar

Assistant Cook
It is that time of the year and I find myself canning carrots today. Decided I would share a really special recipe passed down from my Grandmother to my Mother and then to me. My family loves the cranberry and the pineapple variety while I favor the orange or apple variety. Either way, these carrots are a special dish for company or for Holidays and will quickly become a family tradition!
Orange Glazed Canned Carrots (Can also be Apple glazed, cranberry Glazed or Pineapple Glazed.)
Carrots- Washed, Peeled, Sliced Into 1/4" pieces- As many or as little as you choose to can.
1 can frozen orange juice concentrate thawed or frozen Apple Juice Concentrate Or Frozen Cranberry Concentrate or Frozen Pineapple Concentrate (If you cannot find frozen pineapple concentrate you may substitute pineapple juice but add 3 tablespoons to each pint jar or 1/4 cup to each quart jar.))
Brown Sugar

Place sliced carrots into clean pint or quart jars leaving 1" room at top of jar. Add 1/2tsp of concentrated juice of your choice. Add 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar. Add boiling water to within 1" of top.
Wipe rims with paper towel. Place lids and rings on jars and tighten securely. Process in pressure canner at the following rates:
1000 foot elevation or less- Pints-25 minutes @ 10 lbs, Quarts- 30 minutes at 10 lbs.
1000 Foot Elevation or above- Pints-25 minutes @ 15 lbs
Quarts-30 minutes at 15 lbs. ( I live at 4500 foot elevation.) When process complete, remove jars to table with a thick towel over it (These jars are hot enough to bubble finish on a table or counter.) Allow to cool completely (I leave them overnight.) Inspect jars. Place any jars that have a lid that did not seal into the refrigerator for quick use. Remove rings. Lable jars with content and date.

Canner I Use

I have a Presto Dleuxe which I have probably had for 20 years. I do know I have replaced the rubber seal several times over the years. Mine has a gauge and a weighted
Pressure cap that I lift to decrease canner pressure as it is processing. I raise and sell gourmet veggies to the restaurant trade but always have TONS to can for my family. I also use home canned items as gifts in a basket for several different occasions. If you go to my page, you can see everything I raise. www.brokenbarranch.com/vegies.html We ran a Stallion Station for nearly 20 years and shipped and received semen from all over the world. We retired last year and I am so glad to have the time to garden as much as I like! These carrots in whichever juice are just terrific. I do add a pat of butter to them before re-heating to serve. Mary

JoAnn

Too darn hot to run anything anywhere!!! We are having a terribly hot summer for Wyoming. I have Lupas so the heat just kicks my butt! Mary:flowers:

Hot-hot-hot

If it wasn't so hot here too, I'd run over to your house. I always wanted to see Wyoming. I think they said that it is going to cool off a little by Wednesday. I hope and pray it does. :angel:

JoAnn hot weather

Joann, Have you been really hot too? We live in high desert and go most of winter with no snow and summers usually run about 85 but this year, whew! I have a great melon crop as well as tomatoes since they are such heat lovers. My grandparents farmed in Anamosa and I visited there many times as a kid. They always had a huge family reunion in Wapsipinigan (spelling...hmmmm) Park on the river. I just finished up pickling about 25 lbs of asparagus. My husbands favorite! I'll bet I sold 200lbs easily this year. Mary

Back
Top Bottom